Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Cheap wine recipe:Dangerous?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 06:36 AM   #1
quam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cheap wine recipe:Dangerous?

Okay i made a wine recipe i got off the internet.It basically goes like this,
Get grape juice,add sugar till juice is cloudy,add yeast,leave in a container with a small(1-2mm)hole in the lid,leave like this till the CO2 bubbles stop rising to the surface,strain with a coffee filter,drink.I used bread yeast.
I just read that this can produce methanol which can cause blindness w/as little as 10ml.How much methanol will this recipe produce per 1/2 gallon?
I drank it a week ago and I'm not blind but can the methanol accumulate till i go blind?If so what is a safe rate to drink this stuff at to avoid blindness?
I'm sorry if this is a foolish question,if it is please forgive my ignorance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Blindness is not really a concern with homebrewing AT ALL. The methanol produced in home brew (which is produced in all brewing) is in very very small concentrations. You really would be throwing up long before you got enough methanol in you to do anything, much less blind yourself. Now if you were distilling (illegally) then you were be concentrating the very small amount of methanol produced to a possibly unsafe level. And even that can avoided by removing the first run offs from distilling, but I shouldn't even be saying that since we do not discuss distilling, just being informative.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
svengoat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Tusch is right, you'd lose your dignity and pants long before your eyesight..

Old 06-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Our website is dedicated to quality craft brewing and winemaking. There are plenty of other places on the internet to find the information you are looking for. If you just want to make hooch for a buzz, this isn't the place for it. I'd refer you back to the website that gave you the original recipe you used.

If you're interested in making drinkable beverages, we have many good easy recipes and techniques.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Besides what yoop said. Methanol requires wood and a different species of yeast to be produced.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 06-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #6
quam
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Our website is dedicated to quality craft brewing and winemaking. There are plenty of other places on the internet to find the information you are looking for. If you just want to make hooch for a buzz, this isn't the place for it. I'd refer you back to the website that gave you the original recipe you used.

If you're interested in making drinkable beverages, we have many good easy recipes and techniques.
Why yes,I am actually somewhat interested in making mead and rice wines.This was mainly an experiment to see if it actually would work that way.I hafta warn you though I am on the poormans side of the equation.So whatever i make is probably going to be somewhat poor in quality.
I am one of those people that believe that things like home brewing,cheesemaking,canning and other techniques should NEVER have left commomn knowledge in America(or anywere else for that matter),so I am very interested in learning simpler techniques for brewing simple wines. If you'd be willing Id like some explanations on the simple does and dont's of winemaking.(Remember there is no information thats so obvious that it shouldnt be explained to someone new to a field. )
Thank You.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

If you want cheap, easy, and tasty try this, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-...felwein-14860/

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

or search the mead recipes for Joe's Ancient Orange Mead. 1 gallon batch sizes are cheap and good for experimenting and learning.
the downside is you get less than a 12-pack of tastey goodness.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 06-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #9
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 10 Posts

you want cheap and easy?

Airlock $2.00
Brew bucket from a homebrew shop $10
Bung for brew bucket $.75

Those are the bare bones materials you need buddy. You can order them online too, austin home brew supplies sells them and ships them cheap.

Once you have that you can throw all sorts of crap in there and add yeast to ferment it.

If you want to let it ferment a couple of weeks and have it taste good then there is really only one thing that is gonna be drinkable.

Heres the recipe

Apple Juice from the store and beer yeast (Nottingham or Safale-05).
Beer yeast is cheap, just like bread yeast but it's gonna taste a hell of a lot better.

Tastes pretty good actually right out of the bucket, but you would be better off bottling and carbonating it. But, in midevil times i'm sure they just would have stuck their glass in the bucket and drank it.

Now you can add things to that to make it stronger but then it won't be drinkable in a couple weeks.

If you want to spend a $100 you can get everything you need to make, bottle, and carbonate your beer.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:56 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by quam View Post
Why yes,I am actually somewhat interested in making mead and rice wines.This was mainly an experiment to see if it actually would work that way.I hafta warn you though I am on the poormans side of the equation.So whatever i make is probably going to be somewhat poor in quality.
I am one of those people that believe that things like home brewing,cheesemaking,canning and other techniques should NEVER have left commomn knowledge in America(or anywere else for that matter),so I am very interested in learning simpler techniques for brewing simple wines. If you'd be willing Id like some explanations on the simple does and dont's of winemaking.(Remember there is no information thats so obvious that it shouldnt be explained to someone new to a field. )
Thank You.
Well, me too. I make my own beer, wine, cheese; grow my own food; kill my own meat. I don't buy packaged food- for health and financial reasons. So, I think we have much in common. Except- NOTHING I make is poor quality. Just because something costs less than $1 doesn't mean it's poor quality. I demand only great quality. If you want poor quality, buy some Everclear and Wyler's lemonade and have at it.

You can buy an airlock and a #6 rubber stopper for $2 total. Grab a Carlo Rossi wine jug, the 4L size (I just go dumptster diving), and decide what you want to make.

If you have fresh fruit, you need about 3 pounds per gallon plus some table sugar. If you don't have fresh fruit, you can make good wine from apple juice or grape juice. Just make sure you have 100% juice- no "cocktails" which contain high fructose corn syrup. Check out my recipes for banana wine (when bananas go on sale for $.19/pound- the extra ripe ones are great for this!), Welch's wine, and apple juice wine. It's cheap, easy, and tastes great.

Quick Reply