Carbonation in wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK this blackberry wine I have been working I just racked for what I was hoping to be the last time. It has had a SG of .990 for some time and I stabilized it 2 weeks ago. I just racked but had an odd quart after filling my gallons so I sweetened and drank some and it was good so I was just going to drink the that quart now. I added some sugar stirred and shook and got a tremendous amount of bubbles and carbonation. Does this amount of co2 mean it is still fermenting or is this normal?

Thanks guys!!

It's probably just suspended CO2 I would think. How many times has it been racked? You could degas it by stirring with a long spoon or wine whip on a drill. Or you could rack it again and see if that takes care of it.

It was it's 3rd racking and sediment was just about zilch. I should note that I am looking to achieve a nice, sweet country wine, not a real dry aged fine fine

It just suspened CO2. You need to degass it a bit. Its ok if you have alittle CO2 left. Also if your backsweetening it dont forget to sorbate and sulfite it. By the way sweet balckberry wine is excellent enjoy!

Thank you guys! Chaos, what do you do to degass it? Just stir it and let it breathe as Hophead said or is there a process?

Thank you guys! Chaos, what do you do to degass it? Just stir it and let it breathe as Hophead said or is there a process?

Ya just do what hophead said. Stir it reaaly good for about 2 min let the foam go down and do it again. If your using a carboy just use the square end of the brew spoon

Related to this, if I didn't degas well enough, what will happen? I'm not worried about exploding bottles, and my wine isn't bubbly, but it is noticeably "tangy." Is that from CO2 still left suspended or could it be something else?

Related to this, if I didn't degas well enough, what will happen? I'm not worried about exploding bottles, and my wine isn't bubbly, but it is noticeably "tangy." Is that from CO2 still left suspended or could it be something else?

Sometimes- but if you actually tasted the c02 as a "tangy" carbonic acid bite, the wine would probably be bubbly, at least slightly.

Sometimes young dry wines have a tartness to them that fades, so it could be that if it's not bubbly.

Back