Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Carbonation and Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Krrazy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Carbonation and Apfelwein

Hi all,

I've read that apfelwein can take longer to carb. than beer and that a lot of people enjoy it that way but in my search for details I haven't come up with what I'm looking for. Can a few folks please share some details on their experiences on that (what method is used, ratios, and time for carbonation)?

I fermented for four weeks and then bottle conditioned for four additional weeks primed with dextrose at 1 oz / gallon. One bottle that I opened a week ago had a slight positive pressure when I opened it but no hit of bubbles and the second one that I opened last night had no detectable carbonation at all.

This was my first batch and of course I was eager to try it after two months; if I just need to wait longer that's not problem (or maybe it will be ), I'd just like to get some idea of what that time is.

Thank you for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Could be that the most of the yeast fell out of suspension and it will take a long time to carb, if at all. I force carbed my batch so it went pretty simply. Are you keeping them at room temp? I found that I really could not enjoy mine until the 6 month mark and even then I'd rather have a home brew so I have about 3 gallons aging for a long term test.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 745 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

You might try placing your bottled apfelwein someplace where it's about 68*-70*F for a few days to a week & then open a bottle & see if it's carbed up. Warmer temps should help the yeast to do their thing. Out of curiosity, what yeast did you use? Regards, GF.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
Ooompa Loompa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That is weird. Mine are usually plenty carbed after a month. What temp are they sitting at?

Drinking: Super Shpadoinkle Blonde Ale

Quick Reply