Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Carbonating hard lemonade advice!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
ErinRae
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Carbonating hard lemonade advice!

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice for carbonating my Hard Cranberry Lemonade. I've been fermenting it since Sept..very slow ferment. Last week the gravity was down to 1.01 so I figured time to move it to secondary and off the nasties. I'd like to make it sparkling and have picked up the dextrose. I also have grabbed the bottles that can hold the carbonation.

How much sugar should I add to get a decent carbonation? I'm using a 23 litre/5 gallon carboy. Also is it okay to do this now even though it hasn't dried out yet completely? The yeast I used originally was either 1116 or 1118 (forgot to write it down at the time)

Thanks!

Erin

Daydreaming about......raspberry vanilla, wildberry mead
Brewing & Aging: Wildflower mead, Betrayal: A Stark Raving Cherry Mead
Bottled: sweet blueberry melomel, sparkling Cranberry/Blackberry melomel, fb apple cyser, wine, wine and more wine!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 824

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinRae View Post
Hi Everyone,

I need some advice for carbonating my Hard Cranberry Lemonade. I've been fermenting it since Sept..very slow ferment. Last week the gravity was down to 1.01 so I figured time to move it to secondary and off the nasties. I'd like to make it sparkling and have picked up the dextrose. I also have grabbed the bottles that can hold the carbonation.

How much sugar should I add to get a decent carbonation? I'm using a 23 litre/5 gallon carboy. Also is it okay to do this now even though it hasn't dried out yet completely? The yeast I used originally was either 1116 or 1118 (forgot to write it down at the time)

Thanks!

Erin
The lemonade isn't done fermenting- it will often end up at .990. If you bottle it at 1.010, you will have bottle bombs sooner or later.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:57 AM   #3
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Erin,
You mention you have to rack, but is the wine clear at this point? I would think if this is your first racking, and since SG is 1.01_ this will continue to drop sediment as the SG continues to decrease.

You do realize that this will be a dry sparkling hard lemonade unless you opt to backsweeten with an unfermentable sugar also? From the cane sugar perspective, to potentially carbonate to 2 atmospheres you add 5.34 oz cane sugar per five gallons dissolved in some of the wine that has been warmed up.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 11-21-2012, 05:25 AM   #4
ErinRae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was planning on back sweetening with xylitol...which is unfermentable I believe. The hard lemonade is just taking forever to dry out...which makes me think that it will also take forever to carb up.

I was thinking I could just add a bit of sweetener and bottle carb when it reaches 1.000 and just use less sugar...to take into account that not all the original sugar has been eaten up??! What do u guys think?! In all reality this drink will prob be gone within few months anyways...I don't think it's meant for aging really.

Checked today and the gravity is 1.007...so it's dropped .003 in 7 days not too bad

Daydreaming about......raspberry vanilla, wildberry mead
Brewing & Aging: Wildflower mead, Betrayal: A Stark Raving Cherry Mead
Bottled: sweet blueberry melomel, sparkling Cranberry/Blackberry melomel, fb apple cyser, wine, wine and more wine!

Quick Reply