Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > carbonated merlot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Slipgate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default carbonated merlot

This weekend I had some carbonated Merlot. Very interesting taste (commercial wine) but very good!

My question is can this be done fairly easily at home? I'd guess bottle in a champagne bottle and put some measure of corn sugar? Any advice appreciated! I'd like to do this with maybe 5 bottles of my next red!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've never tried it myself, but I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. For the bottling, you might want to use a yeast with good flocculation so it will settle out more easily. I know my LHBS told me to use an ale yeast when carbing cider. The small amount of sugars introduced at bottling won't influence flavors that much, but he suggested that the yeast I used to ferment would take forever to settle out and disturb easily.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Slipgate
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

So I should use a different yeast? I think I am using cuvee yeast now. I am kind of afraid to use something else since it could ruin the whole batch. If I used a champaign bottle and maybe 2 beer car tabs per bottle do you think there is enough yeast in the wine to carbonate it? I do not filter my wine but I do clarify it with ingisoll. I don't use anything else though to kill off the yeast.

I guess I could just try 5 bottles - worst case I get 5 bottles that have a little more sugar in them from the car tabs.

Quick Reply