Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Carambola (star fruit) wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
Erroneous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Default Carambola (star fruit) wine

I've got a lady I work with with a ton of star fruit she's been trying to get rid of. Has anyone here made carambola wine before or know any recipes? A quick Google tells me I'm looking for around 15 lbs of fruit, plus some sugar and maybe grape juice or something. I haven't plugged anything into beer smith yet but I'm thinking 15 lbs of the fruit, water to bring to 5 gallons, yeast nutrient and tannin, and cane sugar to bring to 1.080. Amy thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #2
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If I recall correctly star fruit has a subtle taste? If that's the case, then I would go with 5lbs per gallon. If I am wrong on the taste, forgive me. Its been ages since I had one.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:56 AM   #3
Erroneous
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

It is a subtle taste. I think that's why many of the recipes I've seen have you add some other kind of juice. I could always do 5 lbs per gallon and dilute to taste if necessary.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:23 AM   #4
EmmaC
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Yeah, I usually do 3-4 lbs fruit per gallon, but for something as subtle as star fruit, I could totally see doing 5 lbs. As you point out, you can always dilute later. I also usually do 1-3 lbs of sugar per gallon, depending on a) how boozy I want it and b) how much residual sugar I might want leftover. I feel like star fruit would do nicely as a dry wine, so maybe go for less sugar? At least to start? Adding some other juice (grape or apple) would help give the wine some body -- I'd go for white grape juice rather than red for fear of totally swamping the star fruit flavor. Just my 2-cents! Keep us posted. I'd love to hear how this one turns out.

Quick Reply