Cantaloupe Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
We had all this cantaloupe from the garden this year and it was not very sweet so GF wasn’t thrilled about eating a whole lot so we decided to try and make a wine with it. Figured if we could make a wine that tastes and smells like the fruit does it would be great. No real recipe or logic to our process kind of just winging it. The flesh is very soft so we just cut it up into slices, added to carboy, added some sugar and champagne yeast. We have made plumb wine before in a similar way with a lot of sugar, after a couple years of aging came out like a vermouth due to the amount of sugar we added. Idea here is to keep adding sugar to keep fermentation going until most of the juices have “rendered”. Been going on a week now and looking good, smells great. Decided on the champagne yeast in case we wind up adding a lot of sugar to get the end result.

Any suggestions? Any thoughts? We just made a peach wine the same way, still aging in the bottles.

Thanks!

Sounds good. My boss ferments cantaloupe in "mellon baller" size for eating. I am not sure how he does it, but it is really good.

I did a mead by attempting to juice a load of melons. Worked well but beware the pulp, it's like glue!

Back