Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Cantaloupe Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011, 06:25 AM   #1
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Cantaloupe Wine

We had all this cantaloupe from the garden this year and it was not very sweet so GF wasn’t thrilled about eating a whole lot so we decided to try and make a wine with it. Figured if we could make a wine that tastes and smells like the fruit does it would be great. No real recipe or logic to our process kind of just winging it. The flesh is very soft so we just cut it up into slices, added to carboy, added some sugar and champagne yeast. We have made plumb wine before in a similar way with a lot of sugar, after a couple years of aging came out like a vermouth due to the amount of sugar we added. Idea here is to keep adding sugar to keep fermentation going until most of the juices have “rendered”. Been going on a week now and looking good, smells great. Decided on the champagne yeast in case we wind up adding a lot of sugar to get the end result.

Any suggestions? Any thoughts? We just made a peach wine the same way, still aging in the bottles.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
WIP
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sounds good. My boss ferments cantaloupe in "mellon baller" size for eating. I am not sure how he does it, but it is really good.

Marc Moberg
Assistant Winemaker/Cellar Manager
Inwood Estates Vineyards and Winery
1350 Manufacturing St. #209
Dallas, TX 75207

Old 08-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I did a mead by attempting to juice a load of melons. Worked well but beware the pulp, it's like glue!

Quick Reply