Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Calculating Gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
BarrelOfBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Calculating Gravity

I am having some trouble finding info on how to do this, and my searches on HBT didn't turn up anything I could use. We are making a batch of semi-sweet grapefruit wine, according to the Jack Keller recipe. I posted in the thread on grapefruit, but I wanted to start a separate thread on this because it's not really about the grapefruit.

We followed the recipe, pitched the yeast, etc., without problems. The recipe calls for adding sugar 2 days into the primary fermentation, which we did, but we foolishly did not take extra gravity measurements before and after adding more sugar.

In a 3 gallon batch, our OG was 1.073, and we added 4 lbs of sugar (two days later). How do I calculate the revised OG?

Much thanks in advance,

BoB

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to drink beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Firstnten
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelOfBrew View Post
I am having some trouble finding info on how to do this, and my searches on HBT didn't turn up anything I could use. We are making a batch of semi-sweet grapefruit wine, according to the Jack Keller recipe. I posted in the thread on grapefruit, but I wanted to start a separate thread on this because it's not really about the grapefruit.

We followed the recipe, pitched the yeast, etc., without problems. The recipe calls for adding sugar 2 days into the primary fermentation, which we did, but we foolishly did not take extra gravity measurements before and after adding more sugar.

In a 3 gallon batch, our OG was 1.073, and we added 4 lbs of sugar (two days later). How do I calculate the revised OG?

Much thanks in advance,

BoB
One pound of sugar dissolved in one U.S. gallon* of water will float the hydrometer to the 1.046.

So lets use some flawed math here. 3 lbs of sugar will raise the SG .046 the extra lb dissolved in 3 gallons of water should raise it and additional .015.

So the total increase should be around .061

Old 02-05-2009, 03:07 AM   #4
BarrelOfBrew
Recipes 

Thank you! This puts my revised OG at about 1.130 .

The yeast is loving it. Right now the airlock activity is 2-3 bubbles per second.

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to drink beer.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:23 AM   #5
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Yup I can confirm it at 1.130, you're dead on.

Quick Reply