Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Brewing and Carbon Monoxide

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
skyzo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Brewing and Carbon Monoxide

I am making some balloon wine, which I guess just means that a balloon goes on top with holes poked through, and it acts sort of like an airlock. No air in, only out.
Now, my question is, my apartment is real small, and my bedroom is only 9X11 feet. I started up a new 3 gallon batch yesterday, and set it on my desk. I kinda forgot about it, and came home and after sitting in my room for about an hour, my eyes started to hurt and I had a real bad sore throat. I didnt think much about the wine, just thought I was coming down with the flu. I just thought this morning about the wine though, and some of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is eye pain and sore throat. Is the wine actually giving off that much CO2?
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Well actually....Co2 is carbon dioxide not monoxide so if you have something resembling carbon monoxide posioning, I would look for other sources, like a leaking gas line to your water heater or something....

Secondly, it is doubtful that 3 gallons of fermenting wine in a 9x11 space is going to generate enough carbon dioxide to push out all the oxygen in the room and give you any flu like symptoms...if it could anyway.

I'd take some vitamins, or something for you porrible cold and flu, and look for any C0 (not co2) leaks.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Riley454 Likes This 
Old 06-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4616 Times on 3352 Posts
Likes Given: 903

CO and CO2 are two totally different chemicals. Just like H20 (water) is not the same as H202 (peroxide). It sounds like you're getting a cold.

People Like This 
Old 06-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Not making fun of you man, but this thread made me laugh a lot thanks

Oh and Yooper great new pic

Quick Reply