Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Brewer Looking To Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 03:36 AM   #1
jtupper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Brewer Looking To Wine

So I just brewed my first lager and Im in the mood to be even more risky. I have recently purchased a 1G jug with a stopper and am looking to make a simple cheap batch. I have some pastuer yeast stocked up from soda making in the past. My questions are these:

I need a recipe of fruit wine (apple, store bought juice, fresh bought fruit, etc).

What additives will I need?

other than the jug i have a 6.5G bucket, 5G Glass, and some 5G kegs available do I need to pick up a 3G bucket or will one of these be fine for primary until the glass jug?

any links or suggestions are great. For reference of fruit I am in SW MO so not much fruit this time of year as its about 20F outside.

HOMEBREW'

www.CulverCreek.com
Gourmet Spices, Herbs, and Seasoning Blends

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 02:11 AM   #2
pkeeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Google Jack Keller wine recipe and you will get a bunch. People seem to like the apple wine recipe that is a sticky on this forum too.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
Zwetschgen
Recipes 

The absolute easiest method would be to use apple juice, sweeten it with sugar until you reach your desired sg, 1.075 or so, and let it do it's thing. Yeast nutrients are always a good idea, and with an apple juice it would be good to use some pectin enzyme, but all of that is unnecessary. Sugar and juice and your yeast mixed with a good bit of time and you're on your way.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There's numerous beginner threads out there and for easy reference....
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp

For a first wine I would suggest just a Welches "kit" Search the forum here and they are pretty easy and inexpensive to manage. Low risk investment into wine. The biggest thing is the time and energy to do it. Then sit back and wait.

You'll likely try another wine before you will have the chance to really try the first one. I find it's ALOT easier than beer...in terms of ingredients and method, but more time investment to stir during primary (if using fruit), and constantly checking, then cleaning the must. Beer has a more intense "brew day" but it's more set+forget until it's time to bottle (or keg).

Women are like yeast... You gotta keep them at the right temperature if you want to get anything out of them!

Quick Reply