Old 12-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
kpr121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingohio View Post
Freee concentration for me has always taste like cheapo hooch that should be used in an airlock, not put in you mouth.

I have always called the high abv brews FAUX liquers [kind of like the spirt blends they sell]

A couple years ago i remeber making something like this i wanna say it was a cran grape from concentrate, it was just juice concentrate, yeast hulls, sitillers yeast. DAP, and alot of airration.
On brew day i mixed it up just using straight concentrate, nutrients, airated the crap out of it and added the yeast as per instructions.

In a week it had fermented out so i racked it, andded in more nutrient, and airrated, i repeated this process 3 more times or so till i hit an abv of 20 %. i racked it again topped of with watter and some charred oak barrel. let it settle for 2 weeks and racked again, stabalized ,back sweetened then bottled.

It reminded me alot of a liquer that I had when i was younger, nice tartness/ to sweetness ratio, as tart as it was i added alot of sugar to sweeten and it became a little to filling, the charred oak came through giving it a little whiskey character, but very little. It did smooth out very much so over the 8 months that i drank it.

If i did it again I would find a concentrate that wasnt so tart, if it was lighter on the stomach it would have been as good as you could ask for
So it sounds like you sorta liked it, here’s a couple things that I think could have made it better:

-Use a quality champagne yeast instead of distiller’s yeast

-Get rid of the cranberry. It’s probably what made it too tart.

-Let it age for more than 8 months (which seems like was the last tasting you had so I assume it was drank throughout that time.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
kpr121
Recipes 

Im going to give this a go, probably use a similar recipe from Revvy’s first link (beninan’s Grandma’s recipe). I like the idea of blending in some Everclear or other neutral spirit to get the ABV up (Revvy’s second link), that way you don’t really need to worry about a yeast getting you all the way to 20%.

So with that said, Here’s what I am thinking for a recipe (apologies to beninan’s Grandma for poaching her recipe):

3 Gallons warm water
10# Sugar
4 Lemons cut in eights
Two 5 lb bags of frozen peaches from Costco (10 lbs total)
1 Large cake yeast (I’ll use a EC-1118 cake from apfelwein or wine batch)
Yeast Nutrient
Mix well and cover. Stir once a day for 7 days. Then add
4# seedless raisins, let stand for 21 days.
Do not stir after the 7th day. Let stand 28 days total.
When SG gets down somewhere around 1.00, rack to secondary if clarity is needed or just
Blend in Everclear or other neutral spirit (vodka) to taste (maybe 20-30% ABV?).
Package in pint mason jars.

I’ll let you guys know how this turns out! Im wondering if this would be benefited from some oak chips at all?

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 12-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121
Im going to give this a go, probably use a similar recipe from Revvy’s first link (beninan’s Grandma’s recipe). I like the idea of blending in some Everclear or other neutral spirit to get the ABV up (Revvy’s second link), that way you don’t really need to worry about a yeast getting you all the way to 20%.

So with that said, Here’s what I am thinking for a recipe (apologies to beninan’s Grandma for poaching her recipe):

3 Gallons warm water
10# Sugar
4 Lemons cut in eights
5 lb bag of frozen peaches from Costco
1 Large cake yeast (I’ll use a EC-1118 cake from apfelwein or wine batch)
Yeast Nutrient
Mix well and cover. Stir once a day for 7 days. Then add
4# seedless raisins, let stand for 21 days.
Do not stir after the 7th day. Let stand 28 days total.
When SG gets down somewhere around 1.00, rack to secondary if clarity is needed or just
Blend in Everclear or other neutral spirit (vodka) to taste (maybe 20-30% ABV?).
Package in pint mason jars.

I’ll let you guys know how this turns out! Im wondering if this would be benefited from some oak chips at all?
Including the lemons and raisins, you have about 10 lbs of fruit, 3.33lbs per gallon. I don't think it'll give you enough flavor. Go with 10lbs of peaches, you'll thank me later!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
kpr121
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalou View Post
Including the lemons and raisins, you have about 10 lbs of fruit, 3.33lbs per gallon. I don't think it'll give you enough flavor. Go with 10lbs of peaches, you'll thank me later!
I was thinking it wasnt enough. I'll thank you now!

Original recipe updated.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 12-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #15
oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My freeze offs have turned out rather well. Let it sit for a couple months makes a lot of difference. Mike

Old 12-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #16
thetankfrank
Recipes 

Thanks everyone!

Yes I am not talking about distillation of the beverage but more of a wine. Actually I think in its earliest forms, Brandy was not distilled.

Will champagne yeast yield a 40 proof wine?

Old 12-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetankfrank View Post
Thanks everyone!

Yes I am not talking about distillation of the beverage but more of a wine. Actually I think in its earliest forms, Brandy was not distilled.

Will champagne yeast yield a 40 proof wine?
Since that's just 20% ABV, you can use Wyeast Eau de Vie yeast (goes to 21%) or White Labs WLP099 (goes to 25%). With either of those no additional concentrating will be needed. You'll want to age them for an extended period though.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
thetankfrank
Recipes 

So, I mean if I add too much sugar it will just stall fermentation. Do I start at 1.30 for gravity and gradually add in more sugar to the batch until it stops and assume it is then at its alcohol tolerance?

That is something I have never understood is how to measure your OG Versus FG, if you constantly add sugar along the process, obviously if you have enough sugar in there for a OG of 1.67 how will you actually know that if you can't measure out?

I guess that is when you go by alcohol tolerance of the yeast?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #19
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetankfrank View Post
So, I mean if I add too much sugar it will just stall fermentation. Do I start at 1.30 for gravity and gradually add in more sugar to the batch until it stops and assume it is then at its alcohol tolerance?

That is something I have never understood is how to measure your OG Versus FG, if you constantly add sugar along the process, obviously if you have enough sugar in there for a OG of 1.67 how will you actually know that if you can't measure out?

Start low, like around 1.100, and then add more until you've used all of the sugar source up. You can figure out how much you should add, total, along with the total amount of water before you start. Use the total water amount at start with just part of the sugar source. It would also be a good idea to use nutrient for the yeast and oxygenate/degas during the initial stages.

There are tools available to help you to figure out how much to use for the batch size and total OG.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #20
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetankfrank

Don't start at 1.30, the yeast may not start. Begin at 1.090 or something in that range.

When you get to 1.030 or so, add more sugar and record the new SG.

By measuring the gravity before and after sugar additions, you can subtract the values and add to your starting gravity. You'll then have an idea of alcohol content if it all ferments out.

Quick Reply