Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Brandy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
thetankfrank
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brandy

Has anyone here made brandy?

What are your recommendations for yeast and recipes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
petie
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 61 Posts

You gotta distill to make brandy. The last thread that talked about distilling got shut down. Google the distillers forum. Those guys will give you the lowdown. I would but got in trouble last time.

If it didn't matter,it wouldn't matter!

Old 12-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 67

A friend of mine’s grandfather makes a peach brandy that he insists he doesn’t distill. I think it’s just a bunch of sugar, 5 lbs of frozen peaches, and champagne yeast. I don’t have the exact recipe. I do know they said that they throw a lb or two of raisins in there, I imagine it is to give the yeast some nutrients.

Its been two years since I’ve first tried it and everytime I see them they say they are going to get me the recipe. Havent seen it yet, so I cant confirm any of the above (and whether it is for sure not distilled).

But if you can get a OG of approximately 1.12 to 1.15 you can get a wine that is up to 20%. Its going to take quite awhile for that to age out though.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 12-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121
A friend of mine’s grandfather makes a peach brandy that he insists he doesn’t distill. I think it’s just a bunch of sugar, 5 lbs of frozen peaches, and champagne yeast. I don’t have the exact recipe. I do know they said that they throw a lb or two of raisins in there, I imagine it is to give the yeast some nutrients.

Its been two years since I’ve first tried it and everytime I see them they say they are going to get me the recipe. Havent seen it yet, so I cant confirm any of the above (and whether it is for sure not distilled).

But if you can get a OG of approximately 1.12 to 1.15 you can get a wine that is up to 20%. Its going to take quite awhile for that to age out though.
If you attempt to get to 18-20% with yeast, don't add all the sugar at once, it may not start or get stalled. Start with a SG of 1.095. After a week, add more sugar.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

In order to make Brandy, you need to distill it, since distilling is illegal in the US, and this is a US based forum, it's against the terms of service here to discuss it, that's why the mods shut down those threads, along with ones by underage posters, or that discuss underaged drinking, drug use, keg stealing.

There are a couple threads of folks making what is essentially a very strong brandy-like "wine" or for lack of a better term "hooch" (not meaning to be derogatory here, there's just no real term for something like this.)

This thread,

and This thread.

And then there's this thread, which is trying to make a non-distilled rum beverage.

Like I said these aren't TRUE versions of these spirits, since they don't involve illegal distillation, but they can get you started.

You could start like any of those ideas, making a strong wine type beverage, freeze concentrate it (which IS LEGAL, so don't start the posts, we have posted the info on here numerous times) then perhaps secondary the concentrate with some bourbon or brandy barrel smoking chips for a few months to mellow it out.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Swifty Likes This 
Old 12-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can freeze it off and make winter brandy. It is a whole lot easier thas distilling would be. Mike

Old 12-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Distilling (or a conversation about it here) is right out. Discussing fortified wine (port, madeira, etc) might be a good direction to take this one.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Discussing fortified wine (port, madeira, etc) might be a good direction to take this one.
That's the term I was trying to think of earlier....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Making a port is easy. Plan it out. In the spring, I was gifted a few gallons of a peach port which was started in 2005. Made from canned commercial peaches. Unfortunately the full recipe was lost, but I do know it was made by starting at a common SG, 1.090 for example, and then routinely stepfeeding sugar to it once the SG had dropped to a certain point. The ultimate goal was to reach the alcohol toxicity of the yeast and cause die off & hopefully have a residual sugar. But you could still backsweeten if necessary. By keeping track of all sugar added and the final SG it is easy to calculate alcohol content. Then use Pearson's square to determine how much liquor is needed to fortify. I do know my port was made with granulated and brown sugar and fortified with brandy and even peach schnapps. It comes in at 21%. I simply had to filter it and dose with k-meta before bottling.

With the ports I have made I like to fortify with a high proof neutral spirit and a portion of brandy. The combo, to me, just adds the right touch.

So map out a recipe and take off--you will have fun.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 12-28-2012, 02:32 AM   #10
huntingohio
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Freee concentration for me has always taste like cheapo hooch that should be used in an airlock, not put in you mouth.

I have always called the high abv brews FAUX liquers [kind of like the spirt blends they sell]

A couple years ago i remeber making something like this i wanna say it was a cran grape from concentrate, it was just juice concentrate, yeast hulls, sitillers yeast. DAP, and alot of airration.
On brew day i mixed it up just using straight concentrate, nutrients, airated the crap out of it and added the yeast as per instructions.

In a week it had fermented out so i racked it, andded in more nutrient, and airrated, i repeated this process 3 more times or so till i hit an abv of 20 %. i racked it again topped of with watter and some charred oak barrel. let it settle for 2 weeks and racked again, stabalized ,back sweetened then bottled.

It reminded me alot of a liquer that I had when i was younger, nice tartness/ to sweetness ratio, as tart as it was i added alot of sugar to sweeten and it became a little to filling, the charred oak came through giving it a little whiskey character, but very little. It did smooth out very much so over the 8 months that i drank it.

If i did it again I would find a concentrate that wasnt so tart, if it was lighter on the stomach it would have been as good as you could ask for

P1 Strawberry bannna melomel
p2 mixed berry cyser
p3 lemon ginger melomel
2 gallon fermenting kit is OTW!!!

Quick Reply