Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Bottling... finally!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Wulfonce
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bottling... finally!

I'm just getting ready to bottle for the first time using corks. How do you go about softening them. I've herd everything from steaming to soaking and boiling.

Any help would be great

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I've never heard of the need to soften them, unless you bought corks that are a little too large for your bottle or maybe synthetic corks? Are you using a hand or bench corker? I normally sanitize the corks a little and then cork, but I used real corks.

Just read that dropping them in hot water 5-10 minutes is good for synthetic.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Wulfonce
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophead75 View Post
I've never heard of the need to soften them, unless you bought corks that are a little too large for your bottle or maybe synthetic corks? Are you using a hand or bench corker? I normally sanitize the corks a little and then cork, but I used real corks.

Just read that dropping them in hot water 5-10 minutes is good for synthetic.
They are real corks (non synthetic). I think the corks are for 3/4" bottles and they look to be about 1" in diameter. I didn't know corks come in different sizes.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
Rossnaree
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Do you have a corker or are you looking to "soften" them to make it easier to somehow pound them into the bottles? Either way, rather than use a lot of space here repeating the information, here's a good article that I think will completely answer your question ----> http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-corking.html

Some knowledge will never be shared, not from a desire to conceal it, but because it is so common to the individual that it is assumed to be already known.

Primary: Chardonel
Secondary: Apfelwein, Chambourcin, Blackstone Pond American Ale, King of the North, Concord, 2nd wine from pulp of both
Bottled: Bavarian Hefeweizen, Dortmunder, King of the North (2010), Apfelwein (2010), Lesser Wilderness Mead (2010), King of the North (2nd wine - 2010)

Old 12-11-2010, 01:00 AM   #5
Wulfonce
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I steamed the corks for 5 minutes. By the time I corked the 4th bottle the corks were already stiffening up again so I soaked the remaining corks in hot water pulling them out only when I needed them. This seems to have worked. Oh and fyi I'm using a hand held corker.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:40 AM   #6
indy
Recipes 

I soak in 1 step for an hour or so and they go in pretty easy with a double arm corker. No idea what they're actually called. Then let them sit upright for a day or so and after that they're gtg.

Quick Reply