Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Bottling apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #21
Daze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

yes or no. if you want it to have a light carb, basically only what is in the liquid already will not usually cause problems in the bottle however, I never degas because by the time the wine has properly cleared there is no co2 left in it.

- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #22
terryb127
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze
yes or no. if you want it to have a light carb, basically only what is in the liquid already will not usually cause problems in the bottle however, I never degas because by the time the wine has properly cleared there is no co2 left in it.
So if you bottle and there's a light carb, will that eventually go away while aging in the bottle?

Old 02-17-2012, 01:32 AM   #23
Daze
Recipes 

if the seal is good, it has no place to go

- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Old 02-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #24
terryb127
Recipes 

Quote:
if the seal is good, it has no place to go
Thanks, I don't mean to be a pain in the a$$ but, are you sayin I can Bottle in wine bottles even if there is a light carb? I did degas last weekend, I'm gonna pull a sample this weekend and see what it's like. Thanks again.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #25
Daze
Recipes 

a wine bottle will handle a very LIGHT co2 level,(in other words a very small amount of CO2 already in solution...VERY SMALL) however in most cases just the act of filling the bottles will finish the degassing process. Did the SG drop further than 1.001?? if not there is still sugar in there and you are still running the risk of bottle bombs. all the degassing in the world will not help you if co2 is still being added by the fermentation process.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #26
terryb127
Recipes 

Quote:
a wine bottle will handle a very LIGHT co2 level,(in other words a very small amount of CO2 already in solution...VERY SMALL) however in most cases just the act of filling the bottles will finish the degassing process. Did the SG drop further than 1.001?? if not there is still sugar in there and you are still running the risk of bottle bombs. all the degassing in the world will not help you if co2 is still being added by the fermentation process.
Im going to check it this weekend.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:02 AM   #27
terryb127
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryb127

Im going to check it this weekend.
Hey daze
I just checked it and it's 0.998 with very very light carb. I shook the sample it the tube and it only gave a slight "puff"
Should I let it sit for a few days and check the sg again before bottling? Thanks

Old 02-18-2012, 03:31 AM   #28
Daze
Recipes 

it's probably done. you can bottle it as is and the slight co2 will probably not be an issue or you can let it age another week and the co2 will not be an issue for sure

Old 02-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #29
anteup
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Getting my bottling supplies in order. Any preference on bottle type, color? Was thinking a green bordeaux style.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #30
Dicky
Recipes 

It shouldn't really matter so long as the seal is good and it's kept in the right conditions.

That said, a clear bottle shows off the colour of apfelwein.

Dicky

Quick Reply