Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Bottle srorage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
guscampag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bottle srorage

I was sondering. Is it really necessary to stor the bottled wine laying on it's side? I think I saw someone mention that you really don't need to with the modern corks. Just wondered. It would be a lot more convenient for me if I could just leave them standing up Then I wouldn't have to dig to the bottom of the pile to get the older ones.

Thanks for your input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
rsmith179
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It depends on what type of corks you are using. If you are using a synthetic cork, it is not "neccessary" to lie them down on their sides, but you still run a chance of them drying out over an extended period. If you are using a natural cork, you should keep it on it's side to prevent drying out. Another thing you can do is just stand them up, upside down so the cork is still touching the wine. Just remember to bring it right side up for a few hours before serving to bring the sediment back to the bottom.

I would highly recommend going with natural corks if you are planning on aging this wine though. The natural corks allow good oxygen contact through the pourous material which allows for good aging. Again, only if stored on it's side though. Hope this helps!

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply