Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > bottle bombs chokecherry wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
regjill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Default bottle bombs chokecherry wine

I bottled my choke cherry wine a couple of weeks ago. I thought I had stabilized it well before I back sweetened with honey but I guess I did not. Now I 've had two bottle bombs. should I pasteurize, as the sticky by pappers suggests for cider, or should I dump the whole batch into the carboy, wait until fermentation stops again, stabilize and sweeten with sugar this time? I am really hoping that pasteurizing will fix this. any input is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
Hedo-Rick
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by regjill View Post
I bottled my choke cherry wine a couple of weeks ago. I thought I had stabilized it well before I back sweetened with honey but I guess I did not. Now I 've had two bottle bombs. should I pasteurize, as the sticky by pappers suggests for cider, or should I dump the whole batch into the carboy, wait until fermentation stops again, stabilize and sweeten with sugar this time? I am really hoping that pasteurizing will fix this. any input is appreciated.
Not sure what choke cherry wine is, what kind of bottle (wine or champagne) it is in, but I wouldn't try to pasteurize them if they are already bursting. The added heat during pasteurizing will - more than likely - make the rest of them burst because of the amount of carbonation in them.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4621 Times on 3355 Posts
Likes Given: 905

Darn it! I agree with Hedo-Rick- if the bottles are already bursting, the heat from pasteurizing will push them over the top and the corks will pop out and the bottles may explode.

I'd gently pour them back into a carboy and let them finish up, clear, and try again once it's fully clear and no longer dropping any lees.

regjill Likes This 

Quick Reply