Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Boiling down apple juice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2013, 04:57 AM   #11
oxpajama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocotaco View Post
Nope, never did it but I'm interested to see how yours turns out! Please report back.
DAP/Nutrient schedule:
I'm aiming for around 250 ppm nitrogen (YAN), amounts are in tsps
Date DAP Nutrient
10/12 .5 .5
10/13 .5 .5 experiencing lag, hit with O2 again
10/14 1.5 1
10/18 1

3.5 tsp dap total, 2 tsp nutrient total

nothing scientific, just a variation on staggered nutrient additions. Today it's going steady at 67*. I forewent oaking it, I think this will be better on its own.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #12
oxpajama
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Update:
I left out the last addition of dap, so total dap was 2.5 tsp, it was almost finished and still going strong so it didn't need it.

A sample reads 1.006 today, its still a little yeasty but otherwise nice fruit aroma, and surprising hints of citrus flavors. I force carbed the sample and am currently chilling for later tonight, hopefully some of the yeast will drop out to reveal more flavor. I'll post pictures then.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #13
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Fire cider vs ice cider, concentrate one by freezing the juice and thawing (or freezing the apples and pressing them as they thaw) or cook down the juice for fire cider. We are trying the ice cider, have 3 gal in the freezer, just planning on taking about a gallon of concentrate. WVMJ

Old 11-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #14
oxpajama
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMJ View Post
Fire cider vs ice cider, concentrate one by freezing the juice and thawing (or freezing the apples and pressing them as they thaw) or cook down the juice for fire cider. We are trying the ice cider, have 3 gal in the freezer, just planning on taking about a gallon of concentrate. WVMJ
I'd like to try my fire cider again with more aggressive boiling to achieve more non fermentables... maybe boil it down half way then cover and simmer for a few hours, then boil to syrup, as the method I used didn't seem to make a cloyingly sweet cider... an FG of 1.010 for 12 or more abv, I'd also like to see how high the alcohol ceiling is for M02.

Review: This is quite young at 11.3% abv but its not boozy at all. M02 may just be my new best friend.

Appearance: hazy stray yellow,
Aroma: still yeasty, but I'm getting citrus notes from M02's esters, and apple which is good because that will intensify as it mellows.
Flavor: soft fruit, yeasty, citrus. So far good acidity balance (meaning If I want to age I'll have to adjust the acidity). As it warms up I'm getting more apple, hints of apple skin, and a light sweetness

Overall: Seems as though concentrating has doubled a few things: acidity, flavor, alcohol. This will be great in the keg, but would be great still also. As the glass finishes there are legs, and more fruit, I fermented at 66* and the yeast behaved nicely. The finish is complex enough on its own but this could certainly support a health dose of Oak in one of its next reincarnations.
applewine-1-002-380x640-.jpg  

Old 11-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
oxpajama
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Here is one gal boiled down and a jug with two gals concentrated. The apartment smelled like apple pie that day, but I'm not tasting any cooked apple in this finished sample.

fall-2013-073-640x480-.jpg   fall-2013-074-480x640-.jpg  

Quick Reply