Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Blueberry wine question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #21
deb_rn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Blueberry is known to cause stuck fermentations. Is it warm enough?

Debbie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #22
manicmethod
Recipes 

68F in my basement, within the 65-75F of the yeast. I'm not sure it is stuck, just very slow. I've added nutrient and booster and it hasn't really helped. I think I'm just going to have to wait it out. I haven't added the frozen blueberries yet, just the dried ones.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #23
manicmethod
Recipes 

Added the frozen blueberries today, with a healthy dose of pectic (I've read that it doesn't survive alcohol well).

Interestingly last week before the dried blueberries went in the SG was 1.042 and today when I racked off the dried it was 1.052. I went ahead and added a bit of sugar and nutrient with the fruit to hopefully get it going again, not sure what else to do, should I repitch? The LHBS doesn't have wyeast but does have WLP720

Old 03-30-2011, 11:54 PM   #24
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Since the SG went only from 1.080 to 1.042 (before you added more sugars and such) you've only hit 5.1% ABV... If the yeast doesn't do anything more, then you'll need to either add more yeast, or change to something else... Since you're trying to keep it on the more sweet side, I would try some Lalvin D47 or 71B-1122 if it was me. 71B might be a better choice since you're using a darker berry... Look at the characteristics on the Lalvin site and pick... BTW, both those strains max out at 14% ABV, so it won't ferment too hot on you...

What's the SG now? Since you added more frozen fruit, that's more sugar being added. Did you take a SG shortly after adding the dried fruit? The yeast might have eaten some of the sugars, but it's hard to say, without knowing the amount of sugar in the dried fruit.

IF the SG continues to go up, I would say that the yeast you started with isn't going to do anything more... Before spending money on White Labs yeast, I would go with Lalvin (it's wine yeast, and less expensive than either White Labs or Wyeast strains)... Just rehydrate it per the instructions on the packet and go from there...

If nothing else, while you wait, you can order up the other yeast (I would still advise the Lalvin, since it has a storage life span of at least a year). Never hurts to have some dried yeast on hand, in case you come upon something really good to ferment.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-31-2011, 10:53 PM   #25
deb_rn
Recipes 

You can make a new starter... once it is roaring... feed it a cup of your wine every hour or so... get it used to the environment... when a bunch of it is roaring along... pitch the whole thing in the wine... leave it on top for a while where it can "breathe".

Debbie

Old 04-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #26
mmadmikes1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Blueberry with honey is a hard combo. Both alone can get stuck. Warm it up to high 70's and add nutrient if you haven't already. once it gets going you can lower it down but keep it in 70's. I use an aquarium heater in bottom of fermenter on meads and BLUEBERRY. Also check PH. I run it at 3.6

Old 04-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #27
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I always have trouble with honey in fermentations. If it makes up more than about 20% of the fermentables then things get sloooooooowwww....

Old 05-09-2011, 01:48 AM   #28
manicmethod
Recipes 

I just racked this to secondary tonight at 1.017 SG. Damn tasty. The first time I did mead I left it in secondary a month and bottled it (planning on aging in the bottles for a year) but from what I've read I'm better off letting it bulk age (I mostly homebrew so bulk aging had never even occurred to me). Hence, I'll be letting this sit for a while.

Quick Reply