Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Wine Making Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/)
-   -   Bloody Mary Wine (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/bloody-mary-wine-205189/)

B0whunt3r 11-09-2010 09:28 PM

Bloody Mary Wine
 
My Wife loves Bloody Marys so I was thinking why not make a inspired wine. My plan is to make a one gallon sample. I'm going to start with a gallon of tomato juice enough sugar to bring the gravity up to about 1.090 so it will ferment down to about 12-13% Here is where my questions begin. To that I want to add some crushed pepper corns. I'm not really sure how much to add any suggestions? Also for any good Bloody Mary you need tobacco sauce. When should I add it? I was thinking either when I transfer it to the secondary or instead of back sweetening I would back spice it. Same thing with the splash of Worcestershire sauce. When and How much of these ingredients to add? I'm still very new at wine making but this sounds like a cool idea any suggestions would be helpful.

CampFireWine 11-10-2010 12:29 AM

I love inspired wines. Mine are tropical fruit inspired for the most part so I feel where you are coming from. If you are making it for you wife, then she needs to be the one to come up with an ingredient list. I would put her glass on a scale when she makes it and jot down the readings every time she adds something. With a little math, you will know exactly what everything is. My concern is if all the ingredients are soluble or will they just settle to the bottom of the fermenter. Take an ingredient and mix it in a glass of water. Let it sit overnight and then poor the top off and check the bottom for non soluble ingredients. If they settle out then you would not want to add that until serving.

You may be ahead to just make tomato-celery-onion wine and let her spice it with the rest.

Yooper 11-10-2010 01:08 AM

I've made tomato wine (recipe is posted) but it really isn't all that "tomato-y". When you ferment the sugar out of a fruit, it doesn't really taste like that fruit anymore. Like, merlot made out of grapes. Merlot doesn't really taste like grapes, and dandelion wine doesn't really taste like dandelions. I think making a bloody mary wine would be very difficult if the expectation would be that it would actually taste like a bloody mary.

Justibone 11-10-2010 04:55 PM

If you want to brew cocktails, you can try the Twisted Mist brew kits (scroll to the bottom). This manufacturer's kits are pretty good from my experience.

B0whunt3r 11-10-2010 06:39 PM

I don't expect it to tast like a bloody mary, but I know the ingedints go well together outside of cocktails. So I figure What the heck i'm only doing a gallon. Worst case I loose maybe 10 bucks worth of ingredients.

I think I'm gonna nix the Worcherstershire sauce. Just use the tabascco and pepper to flavor the juice and hope for the best. see how it turns out and adjust fire from there.

Thanks for the advice, I'll update the thread on how it's going and if it turns out good i"ll post the recipe.

CampFireWine 11-10-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justibone (Post 2396354)
If you want to brew cocktails, you can try the Twisted Mist brew kits (scroll to the bottom). This manufacturer's kits are pretty good from my experience.

Those are fantastic! I didn't know anybody made a kit like that. I have been getting apple or white-grape juice for a base and processing Chilean fruit from Kroger as a secondary flavor. It was the local alternative for me.

Justibone 11-11-2010 10:25 AM

The problem with experimenting in winemaking is that it takes a year or two to get your results. That's why experts recommend taking an established recipe and modifying it, rather than going out on a limb yourself.

You're right, it's only a year and only a gallon... have fun!

DrJerryrigger 11-11-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B0whunt3r (Post 2394574)
My Wife loves Bloody Marys so I was thinking why not make a inspired wine. My plan is to make a one gallon sample. I'm going to start with a gallon of tomato juice enough sugar to bring the gravity up to about 1.090 so it will ferment down to about 12-13% Here is where my questions begin. To that I want to add some crushed pepper corns. I'm not really sure how much to add any suggestions? Also for any good Bloody Mary you need tobacco sauce. When should I add it? I was thinking either when I transfer it to the secondary or instead of back sweetening I would back spice it. Same thing with the splash of Worcestershire sauce. When and How much of these ingredients to add? I'm still very new at wine making but this sounds like a cool idea any suggestions would be helpful.

Cool idea. I made/am making tomato wine, but I should note; I don't really like bloody marys at all.
The tomato flavor mellows out to the point where it's almost like grape wine, but with a slight flavor of tomato, so slight you may not recognize it if not told what it was. But this mellowing is a product of aging, if you where to drink it "green" it would be much more like a bloody mary.
So I would think you would do best if you fermented it, racked it, and stuck it in the fridge in as little time as the fermentation permits. I would also suggest not corking it, as it may explode due to incomplete fermentation.
Speaking of which, I had two carlo jugs full of tomato wine explode in my kitchen over the summer. I'm still finding glass. I was fermenting them with the caps just on loose, and i tightened them to move them, and forgot to loosen them up, next day I came home to glass and wine everywhere.
I would suggest you make your 1 gal and split it into 750ml batches (fermented in 1L or 1.5L bottles). This way you can try a few variations on the spices/sauces. Just keep good records, and you'll know which mixture to work from next time, assuming one is really good.

Edit: I wouldn't recommend using anything that has vinegar in it, unless you know it's distilled. You could also add such products to your glass on tasting day with out any fear.

knotquiteawake 11-11-2010 04:24 PM

[QUOTE=B0whunt3r;2394574 Also for any good Bloody Mary you need tobacco sauce. [/QUOTE]

Is that what you get out of the spittoon at the end of the day? Yum!

CampFireWine 11-11-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justibone (Post 2398317)
The problem with experimenting in winemaking is that it takes a year or two to get your results. That's why experts recommend taking an established recipe and modifying it, rather than going out on a limb yourself.

You're right, it's only a year and only a gallon... have fun!

I am 5 to 7 days in primary and 5 to 7 days in secondary then bottle and drink. From start to finish in 2 weeks. I have only dumped 1 batch out of the dozen or so i have made so far. I couldn't in no way wait a year.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:29 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.