Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Blackberry Wine ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
RobWalker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Blackberry Wine ideas?

Just a few things I'm toying with mentally, so would appreciate some advice if possible!

The book I have (Home Made Wines and Beers, 1983!) recommends making a "Blackberry Port" from wild blackberries which I'm going to pick later, instead of a wine as such. This uses Raisins, Sugar and 2 ripe bananas instead of concentrated grape juice, apparently due to an increased flavor, tannins and acid in the non-cultivated version.

I'm not bothered either way, but I'd just like some opinions and past recipes etc. It's likely this info is quite outed! hahah. I'm not expecting a great haul of blackberries so some info on what sugar etc to use if required would be useful

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Clann
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I do 4 lbs of fruit and 1 1/2 to 2 lbs of sugar per gallon in my backberry wines.

Back Nine Brew&Wine
Life don't get better than a beer and a pepper.
What I am brewing is now a mystery

Old 08-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Turnerdude1
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This year I made 7 gal of a Blackberry Port. I used Jack Keller's receipe for a full body blackberry wine oaked it and then when brink got to 10% I poured .92 gal of 190 prof. everclear into it...will rack in two mo and again two mo later than bulk age...

Old 08-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4364 Times on 3173 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerdude1 View Post
This year I made 7 gal of a Blackberry Port. I used Jack Keller's receipe for a full body blackberry wine oaked it and then when brink got to 10% I poured .92 gal of 190 prof. everclear into it...will rack in two mo and again two mo later than bulk age...
I have a blackberry wine posted (from Jack Keller) and it's great. But if I was going to make a port with it, and I'd do something similar to this.

I'd ferment it out all the way, and add brandy soaked oak cubes. I'd rack it off of the oak after a month or so, and add more brandy until I got to a "port" ABV of around 20-21%. The wine would be around 12% itself.

Or, you could do incremental feeding of the wine with bananas and raisins, and possibly push the ABV up to 18% if you used champange yeast in the beginning. I think you'd get better results with just making the wine, and then boosting the flavor and ABV up with brandy.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's strange as there's nothing in the recipe about actually making it like port. I think it's "port" (in quotation marks) as it's not actually port, but a sort of nickname. Meh.

Massive amount of Blackberries behind my house due to brambles growing at a ridiculous rate. 1.5lb collected so far, more to come!

Quick Reply