Blackberry ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks I thought four lbs was the normal amount. Since I am four short do you think two cans of grape concentrate would make up the difference? Mike

Thanks I thought four lbs was the normal amount. Since I am four short do you think two cans of grape concentrate would make up the difference? Mike

To hit the OG, yes. But for blackberry wine, no. I'd decrease the batch size, rather than change the recipe and add grape concentrate.

Well I can make the 30 mile drive to gather another four lbs. I don't have a four gallon carboy. I'm thinking that would be to much head space for a five gallon carboy. I have too much time invested in the picking of these. They are wild and very thorny infested with ticks. On the plus side they are fairly large and very sweet not to mention I haven't seen any copperheads yet<gg>. Mike

I think I would rather just go pick some more than mess with a gallon of glass beads. Mike

But remember that you need to make at least a 5.5 gallon batch to fill a 5 gallon carboy in secondary! Each time you rack you "lose" wine so you'll be lucky to have a 5 gallon carboy full of wine even if you start with 5.5 gallons. You'd probably need to have enough berries for a 6 gallon batch, to allow for racking losses. But a 5 gallon carboy and a 1 gallon jug will work, until you get to 5 gallons (and a 5 gallon carboy holds closer to 5.5 gallons to the top).

I thought I read that most recipies allow for topping off with plain water. I went and picked ten more pounds so I got plenty now. Mike

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer said:
I thought I read that most recipies allow for topping off with plain water. I went and picked ten more pounds so I got plenty now. Mike

Topping off with water will be fine. Someone can probably chime in on how much sugar to use.

I've gone as high as 5.5 lb/gallon and still added ten pounds of sugar in the secondary. Himalayan blackberries aren't as sweet as the Oregon evergreens, but I have about 50 times as many of the former.

Three pounds per gallon (no sugar) makes a nice cider-like beverage that can be consumed in less than a month.

I heard an interesting idea. Add sanitized glass marbles to carboy after racking to eliminate the air space. I just add a little water.

Got it in the primary today
24 lbs hard earned thorny blackberries
13 1/2 lbs sugar
3 tsp pectic enzyme
3 tsp acid blend
5 c tabs
Water to the six gallon mark
going to pitch 1122 tommorrow after I check the sg Mike

my first rack I have a topped up carboy but my second rack I loose about a inch or two of headspace but it doesnt really affect the wine much because i have sulfites in it and i only leave it like that for a week... Also when you look at wine bottle it has air in it and i bet if you took the air space in 25 bottles of wine and put it into a carboy it would be way more then a couple inches from the top, probably more like a gallon from the top lol.

I know one thing and that is if there is any left in the primary after filling the five I will put in some kind of bottle and air lock for a sampler. Too much work getting the fruit to let go down the drain. I see why they like grapes ... no thorns. Mike

I think I used a bit too much sugar. Hydrometer says 1.120. Must sure tase good. Do you think the 1122 will eat it dry? If so it says it may be 15 percent. Any thoughts ? Thanks Mike

I think I used a bit too much sugar. Hydrometer says 1.120. Must sure tase good. Do you think the 1122 will eat it dry? If so it says it may be 15 percent. Any thoughts ? Thanks Mike

It should still finish dry, but one thing that may help yours from getting too "hot" will be to go ahead and top off with some water at the first racking. I prefer my blackberry wine at about 1.085-1.090. If you want to, you could consider adding a bit of water now to reduce the OG a bit if you're worried about stressing the yeast.

Thanks Yooper I have two inchs of head space in the primary. How much water would you add now to start with. Have not pitched the yeast yet. Mike

Thanks Yooper I have two inchs of head space in the primary. How much water would you add now to start with. Have not pitched the yeast yet. Mike

Hmmmm, let's see.

To go from 1.120 to to 1.100 in a 6 gallon batch would require almost a gallon of water, if my math is right. So I'd just use some water to lower it a bit, and then use water for topping up so you don't have rocket fuel when it's done!

Next time (too late now!), when you mix up your must use about 1/2 of the sugar you think you may need. Then you can always add more to hit your desired OG. That's the way I like to do it, then you're not overshooting or undershooting your volume or OG.

I am learning now Mr Yooper<gg>. I should have figured that out on my own. I knew the berries were pretty sweet. I was just too hung up on following the recipie as close as I could. Mike

Mike...add a refractometer to your wish list for supplies. That way when you have fresh fruit you want to work with you can determine the Brix content in just a matter of minutes, in the field, at the grocery, at home. Perfect yeast choice IMHO!

The yeast data sheet (http://www.lalvinyeast.com/images/library/71B_Yeast.pdf) says the 1122 has an alcohol tolerance up to 14% but we all know that does not guarantee the yeast will die off at 14%. Based on your starting SG it would be nice if the yeast do die off at 14% that way you would have a residual sugar...if that is what you want.

Do you plan on oaking any of this?
Keep us posted, I adore blackberry wine and have not yet made one.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I added about 3/4 gallon and have it down to 1.103. I should have plenty to top off a 6 gal batch and not need any more water. Still deep dark color and plenty of berry flavor so maybe it will work out and not be so strong. Mike

think ill try this then use the blackberries to make some blackberry hard lemonade, may work thats a lot of berries they will probably have enough flavor left to do this?I hate to waste

Latest posts

Back