black currant wine yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YooperDog

Reaction score
I have about 25 lbs of currants and want to make some into wine, any suggestions on which yeast to use?

Are these dried currants or fresh/frozen? I believe that dried currants are actually a raisin made from Zante grapes. Fresh/frozen currants are different. I love the flavor, but it is quite bold and tart. I have had issues with the acidity. You may need some residual sweetness to balance the acidity.

I'd probably use 71B or Montrachet.

Thanks. They are fresh/frozen from our garden. Made red currant wine years ago and that has matured nicely. I am more familiar making some beer. I like both varieties but the black are my favorite. I went with Red Star Montrachet. I make another with a different yeast to compare.

I have about 25 lbs of currants and want to make some into wine, any suggestions on which yeast to use?

My 1st choice would be RC-212, here's what Jack Keller has to say about it:

Lalvin RC212 (Bourgovin) : This yeast is traditionally used in the Burgundy region for full red wines and is a favorite of home winemakers seeking similar big reds. Naturally, it is perfect for Pinot Noir. It has good alcohol reach (14-16%) and high temperature (68-86° F.) tolerance and excellent color stability. This yeast requires high nitrogen nutrient additions to avoid the potential development of H2S. It is quite suitable for use with non-grape black and red fruit (plums, prickly pear cactus fruit, pomergrantes) and berries (blackberries, raspberries, dewberries, mulberries). It is quite tolerant of concurrent malolactic fermentation.

My 2nd choice would be 71-B, again from Keller:

Lalvin 71B-1122 (Narbonne) : This yeast metabolizes more of the malic acid during fermentation than most other yeasts and should be considered for wines which are high in malic. It is noted for producing "fruity" reds such as vin nouveau and works well with high-acid native North American grapes, producing rounder, smoother, more aromatic wines that tend to mature quickly. Because it is also known for making blush, rosé and semi-sweet wines with a tropical fruit character, it promotes these styles with Cabernet Franc, Gewürtztraminer and Riesling. For obvious reasons, is often the yeast of choice for a great many malic fruit and berries and for vegetable-grape concentrate blended wines. Alcohol toxicity is predictable at 14% and its temperature range is 60-85°. F.

Regards, GF.

I used to work in a pub near an American University. They were all so confused about blackcurrents. They had never heard of them. Quite a popular flavour over here.

Just thought i would share that. :)

Dicky

I used to work in a pub near an American University. They were all so confused about blackcurrents. They had never heard of them. Quite a popular flavour over here.

Just thought i would share that. :)

Dicky

This is why:

Blackcurrants were once popular in the United States as well, but became rare in the 20th century after currant farming was banned in the early 1900s, when blackcurrants, as a vector of white pine blister rust, were considered a threat to the U.S. logging industry.[4] The federal ban on growing currants was shifted to jurisdiction of individual states in 1966, and was lifted in New York State in 2003 through the efforts of horticulturist Greg Quinn. As a result, currant growing is making a comeback in New York, Vermont, Connecticut and Oregon.[5][6] However, several statewide bans still exist including Maine[7] and New Hampshire.[8]

Since the American federal ban ceased currant production nationally for nearly a century, the fruit remains largely unknown in the United States, and has yet to regain its previous popularity to levels enjoyed in Europe or New Zealand. Owing to its unique flavour and richness in polyphenols, dietary fibre and essential nutrients, awareness and popularity of blackcurrant is once again growing, with a number of consumer products entering the market.

Regards, GF.

We grow black currants, but only have three bushes. They are supposed to be high in antioxidants and they taste ok. My husband freezes them and eats them in the winter. I'm planning on using some for wine, but we aren't getting much off of the bushes at this point.

Back