The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Big bottle pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
indy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Big bottle pump

I was browsing the harbor freight website looking for items for an upcoming move and stumbled across this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pump-fo...tle-90833.html

I've got 2 batches sitting in 5g water bottles waiting for me to get off my butt and bottle them... I mean bulk aging, at the moment so this kind of jumped out at me. THought it might be useful for others to take a look at.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy View Post
I was browsing the harbor freight website looking for items for an upcoming move and stumbled across this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pump-fo...tle-90833.html

I've got 2 batches sitting in 5g water bottles waiting for me to get off my butt and bottle them... I mean bulk aging, at the moment so this kind of jumped out at me. THought it might be useful for others to take a look at.
Interesting.....it would definietly be a way to rack from a carboy without, I assume, any risk of oxydation. Providing it didn't let air in to help the pump work somehow......

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
brazedowl
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Interesting.....it would definietly be a way to rack from a carboy without, I assume, any risk of oxydation. Providing it didn't let air in to help the pump work somehow......
I would think it's more for dispensing to drink then racking. Each time you push the pump it'll push some out but not in a continuous stream. So air will mix with each press. Now if you just wanted to "bottle" your wine in a 5 gallon carboy and call it a day then serve it "on tap" at a large function that'd be a completely different story.

In fact... that might be what I do for thanksgiving! Then bottle whatever's left.
In Progress: Ginger Spiced Cider
Bottled: oodles and oodles

"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?"

Old 11-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I wonder if it had a hose connected to it would it work to start a siphon?

Old 11-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlater View Post
I wonder if it had a hose connected to it would it work to start a siphon?
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering, once you pumped it a couple times if it would just be a flow.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply