Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Better wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
loren601
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Better wine

I'm just starting out making wine and I see a lot of people using different things to make there wine. So what's the pros ad cons of using each methods. Such as using juice, using fresh fruit, or using the store bought kits. Which gives the best results.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren601 View Post
I'm just starting out making wine and I see a lot of people using different things to make there wine. So what's the pros ad cons of using each methods. Such as using juice, using fresh fruit, or using the store bought kits. Which gives the best results.
Juice and kits are more consistent than fresh fruit...and often fresh fruit isn't obtainable for a reasonable price. Kind of an open-ended question.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
loren601
Recipes 

I'm also having trouble understanding which fruits need to be boiled and which ones u Put in your fermenter fresh.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
Inner10
Recipes 

Quote:
I'm also having trouble understanding which fruits need to be boiled and which ones u Put in your fermenter fresh.
Most fruit wines you avoid heating because it can strip fruit of desirable flavors. To kill off any bugglings you use campden.

Some wines use boiling to extract flavors, that we can't otherwise soak, mash or juice out of our products...like dandelion or parsnip.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
loren601
Recipes 

I'm new to this what is (bugglings) so do u recommend juicing strawberries or just cutting them and puttin them in the fermenter

Old 02-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
Inner10
Recipes 

Quote:
I'm new to this what is (bugglings) so do u recommend juicing strawberries or just cutting them and puttin them in the fermenter
That's not a technical term...just my jargon...any living organism, other fungi, bacteria or anything that could ruin your batch.

Do you have access to a juicer? I don't...so I end up smashing them to smithereens and fermenting the whole lot. If you have a juicer I'd juice them and put the pulp in a cheese cloth bag and steep it.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren601
I've made blueberry wine and strawberry wine, both made by chopping the fruit and with a nylon bag, into the fermenter.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
loren601
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10

That's not a technical term...just my jargon...any living organism, other fungi, bacteria or anything that could ruin your batch.

Do you have access to a juicer? I don't...so I end up smashing them to smithereens and fermenting the whole lot. If you have a juicer I'd juice them and put the pulp in a cheese cloth bag and steep it.
Ok I have the campden ordered. I like your suggestion on mashing and using the cloth bag. Do u use any clarifying agents at the end or is that optional

Old 02-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #9
loren601
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalou

I've made blueberry wine and strawberry wine, both made by chopping the fruit and with a nylon bag, into the fermenter.
I have a 6.5 gal carboy. How many pounds of strawberries do u use

Old 02-08-2013, 01:24 AM   #10
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren601

I have a 6.5 gal carboy. How many pounds of strawberries do u use
5 lbs per gallon.