Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Better Bottle vs water cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 01:17 AM   #11
irchowi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah I had originally planned on buying glass but wasn't expecting the huge price tag: almost $50 each. The clerk helping me recommended plastic ones, and actually I think the ones they have that I bought isn't better bottle branded, looks pretty generic. At first I was concerned with long term exposure to plastic, degradation over time, etc. but he convinced me otherwise.

One of the reasons I got it was because at $20, it's less than half the cost of a glass carboy, but I got home and still felt ripped off because I thought that this was almost exactly like a water cooler and I had no idea what the difference was. Turns out there is no difference

And about the handle in a water cooler, the one that I mentioned I saw at walmart did have a handle and I thought that it wouldn't be too good. I mean any kind of cleaning solution would be able to get in there but it wouldn't be possible to physically scrub the area, although I'm not sure if that's even needed. Plus #1 plastic is supposed to scratch easily so maybe it's better to just soak it in a solution and leave it alone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 03:01 AM   #12
landshark
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I have currently in use 2 water cooler bottles, a 3-gallon and a 5 gallon. No problems. I had 2 others, but laziness made them dirty and icky. For $1.97 at Hy-Vee I could care less and threw them away. Most people will say don't age in them, I don't even believe that. I've read most of the stuff over the problems of using type 1 and 2 vs type 7 and all the oxygen permeation. Most just seems "Hypothetical" nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Old 08-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #13
Jacob_Marley
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by irchowi View Post
...So what I'm wondering is why anyone is using $20 better bottles when you can get $10 water coolers that are essentially the same thing?
The manufacture process is different for Better Bottles.

Part of resistance to oxygen permeability is from the composition/material and part is from the material's structure as manufactured ... and part, significantly, from the closure. Better Bottle actually uses a specific high pressure blowing/molding process that was designed to maximize the carboys resistance to oxygen permeability better than that of other PETE carboys (the ones from Absopure for example).

Also, the closure from Better Bottle is significantly better than others.

Common silicone or PVC stoppers are really not suitable for long term storage and are notorious for allowing in oxygen long term. As well, any closure using liquid over the long haul will gradually leach oxygen thru the liquid in the airlock.

The best against oxygen infiltration are something like the closure products from Better Bottles. Other things that work well are natural rubber stoppers or carboy-caps ... although with natural rubber, very old ones will eventually dry out.
The old, stinky black or red neoprene stoppers are also decent against oxygen infiltration ... it just the odor potentially getting into your product that seems to be a downside.

The better bottle system is really the hot ticket for bulk, long-term storage in a plastic carboy.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:04 AM   #14
Steve707
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you are still unable to come to a decision on this, check out the better bottle web site

Old 09-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #15
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would hazard a guess that Better Bottle may make different "levels" of bottles---water bottle vs fermentation....when you visit their website they call them "Better Bottle fermentation carboys". I know many who use the standard water bottles for racking, but never for storage. I know many of the "water bottles" have a pebbled feel to their interior, which makes cleaning a PITA.
Good thread here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/seco...ter-jug-79067/

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 09-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #16
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Very informative. Thanks guys!

Old 09-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #17
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 53

i like glass better, i think it does a better job at clearing wine then plastic does but thats just my belief and im not trying to prove it correct.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #18
ejr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

im with honda i like glass,but also thats all i use, so i wouldnt know the difference without trying it would be almost like saying i like elderberry wine better than blackberry without trying blackberry like revvy said old minds are like a steel trap doesnt want change if it works stay with it, thats old school as most of us are

Old 09-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #19
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejr
im with honda i like glass,but also thats all i use, so i wouldnt know the difference without trying it would be almost like saying i like elderberry wine better than blackberry without trying blackberry like revvy said old minds are like a steel trap doesnt want change if it works stay with it, thats old school as most of us are
Wow, that is one long, run-on sentence! But yes, your point is taken

Quick Reply