The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Better Bottle vs water cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
irchowi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Better Bottle vs water cooler

I know this topic has already been discussed, but it seems like most of them are several years old. I think up until 2007-2008 water coolers were primarily #7 plastic, which contains BPA and is unsuitable for anything food related.

Well I looked at the water coolers at walmart and it was made of #1 plastic and apparently all of them have made the switch.

So what I'm wondering is why anyone is using $20 better bottles when you can get $10 water coolers that are essentially the same thing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irchowi
I know this topic has already been discussed, but it seems like most of them are several years old. I think up until 2007-2008 water coolers were primarily #7 plastic, which contains BPA and is unsuitable for anything food related.

Well I looked at the water coolers at walmart and it was made of #1 plastic and apparently all of them have made the switch.

So what I'm wondering is why anyone is using $20 better bottles when you can get $10 water coolers that are essentially the same thing?
The problem most of us have with plastic bottles is there permeability.

As long as you don't store/age long term, you'll be fine.

Feel free to compare, but I'm willing to bet the better bottle is a bit thicker.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Nowadays a lot of the waterbottles are actually made by the Better Bottle Company. So it's very possible that that very cheap water bottle is just one in disguise. People have had them turn up even in lots delivered and sold at homebrew shops.Every now and then someone will buy one that says "for water only" even though it was labeled Better Bottle, and boxed up. When they contacted the BB company, they admit that they have to have that stamped on the culligan ones, but that they are the same bottles, and sometimes someone screws up in the warehouse and swaps the orders.

You asked why more people aren't....for one the the switch over to <1> and <2> commercial bottles has been slow for retailers, largely driven by BPA recalls. We're always on the lookout, and post here quite often when retailers have made the switch. But even withing the same big box retailer, like Home Depot, Meijer, or Walmart the swtichovers have been gradual and regional. As it happens more, more people will be doing so.

Secondly there's still that old "Oxygen Permeability" belief that when you actually look into it, the differences tend to be marginal, and really more as a result of a fear based glass carboy industry trying to sell overpriced and dangerous glass carboys, rather than there being much true danger in using them...But old minds are like a steal trap....it's hard to get through to people....

If you find them, more power to you,

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
detlion1643
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was at one of my local walmarts last night, and took a look at which water jugs they have. They have listed "Primplastic INC" on them and are <3> (or at least that's what it looks like). Can't say I ever saw 3's before, so I didn't get any. I haven't checked any home depots or lowes though, as that's next on the list.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
Felixio
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Here in MD they are selling 1s at the grocery store. I haven't checked Walmart yet, but I'm hoping that they're there as well.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What about the nooks and crannies that those water bottles can have? Especially the ones with built in handles. From a sanitation point of view does that become an issue? I use glass carboys now, but wouldn't be opposed to using plastic if these sorts of things can be explained?

Old 08-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSlayer View Post
What about the nooks and crannies that those water bottles can have? Especially the ones with built in handles. From a sanitation point of view does that become an issue? I use glass carboys now, but wouldn't be opposed to using plastic if these sorts of things can be explained?
That's why we use oxygen based cleansers like oxyclean and hot water soaks to break everything up and clean it.

And starsan with it's foam that we tell people not to fear to sanitize. What do you think the purpose of the foam i starsan (and the dairy sanitizer version of iodophor I get from tsc which foams as well) is for? to reach into every nook and cranny to SANITIZE things.

Never had a problem with the ones I used...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSlayer View Post
If you clean it with StarSan, every crack and crevice will be sanitized......

Primary: Centennial Blonde

Kegged: Stout

Upcoming: Porter

I love Yooper........

Revvy Likes This 
Old 08-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstranger99 View Post
If you clean it with StarSan, every crack and crevice will be sanitized......
Great minds think alike and at the same time.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
Steve707
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just picked up a 6 gallon better-bottle today at a hardware store in state college,( i know), any way, the owner sold it to me for 17$ and said that it has been sitting on his shelf for years, hell he gave me a free airlock just for getting it off the shelf. He told me that he refuses to buy them because nobody wants them. then he turns around and says that he sells skids of glass corbouys because no one trusts the plastic,hell I'll take that deal all day

Quick Reply