Best Yeast for Blueberry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VachonBrewCo

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have two 5 gallon batches I Blueberry wine. For the first batch, I pitched 71B. For the second, I am torn. I have two packets of D47 on hand, but I prefer dry wines. Do you think the D47 will dry it out, or should I try an ex-1118? Thanks!

D47 will take most wines dry. It can go 14% ABV on average but is known to top out closer to the mid to high 15% range. Over the two yeasts I would choose D47. Just try and keep the temps lower. D47 does not like warm temps. I like to use D47 in the low 60*F range.

I always use k1v-1116 in my blueberry. It has almost the same alcohol tolerance as the 1118, but does a better job at leaving behind the fruit flavor and has a broader temp range

I ended up talking to my buddy who owns our LHBS. He recommended that I use pasture red. I pitched two packets. For my new batch this week I'll probably pitch the K1 or QA23. That is if decide to make a third wine and not a mead out of this next batch.

Back