Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Beginner question. Basic equipment needed for hard apple juice/cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
HoboBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Beginner question. Basic equipment needed for hard apple juice/cider?

I have bought yeast preservitive free apple juice and sugar. I am trying to decide on an air lock and stopper.

http://www.amazon.com/Piece-Plastic-...6763343&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Drilled-Rubber...6763343&sr=1-2

Do they look okay? Do I need anything else?

The only reason I chose amazon is because I have prime shipping. Still not that good of a deal though, so if you know of a better place please let me know. If I am fermenting directly in my 1 gallon apple juice jug, do I need other bottles to transfer it into? Can I just use an old wine bottle? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Any walk in store might save you some money but only a couple of dollars. You'd spend that in gas. I prefer that type of bung over a rubber stopper. I use the S type airlock for secondary just because it seems like the vodka in it doesn't evaporate quite as fast.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
HoboBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkKF View Post
Any walk in store might save you some money but only a couple of dollars. You'd spend that in gas. I prefer that type of bung over a rubber stopper. I use the S type airlock for secondary just because it seems like the vodka in it doesn't evaporate quite as fast.

So are you saying I should use the air lock I chose from amazon for primary fermentation, but when I switch it to another bottle put the s type on it? Thanks.

p.s. Sorry for the stupid questions. Really just want to make sure I have the right setup.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
cyberlord
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The problem with buying stoppers online is do you know for sure it's the correct size?

You didn't mention it in your original post, but I assume you have a jug/carboy of some kind to ferment in?

Edit: I found the reference to the jug size. The stopper you have listed looks like a large one that would fit a 5 gallon carboy/better bottle and not a 1 gallon glass jug. The glass jugs I've found in the store do not have the same size neck as the 1 gallon jugs sold at the brew stores. Just be careful to be sure you are getting the correct size bung for the jug.

You can use what ever to transfer the cider and then transfer it back into the original jug. It's more work, more chance of aeration but doable. Just make sure you sanitize everything and use a siphon hose rather than pour.

I used to have a six-pack, but now I have a keg.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
prochlea
Recipes 

Slightly off topic - but these items don't qualify for Amazon Prime. Between those two items, you'll end up paying nearly $9 in shipping.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:19 AM   #6
HoboBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prochlea View Post
Slightly off topic - but these items don't qualify for Amazon Prime. Between those two items, you'll end up paying nearly $9 in shipping.
Eh sorry I linked the wrong ones
http://www.amazon.com/Piece-Plastic-...6785538&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Drilled-Rubber...6785538&sr=8-3

Old 05-12-2012, 02:21 AM   #7
HoboBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlord View Post
The problem with buying stoppers online is do you know for sure it's the correct size?

You didn't mention it in your original post, but I assume you have a jug/carboy of some kind to ferment in?

Edit: I found the reference to the jug size. The stopper you have listed looks like a large one that would fit a 5 gallon carboy/better bottle and not a 1 gallon glass jug. The glass jugs I've found in the store do not have the same size neck as the 1 gallon jugs sold at the brew stores. Just be careful to be sure you are getting the correct size bung for the jug.

You can use what ever to transfer the cider and then transfer it back into the original jug. It's more work, more chance of aeration but doable. Just make sure you sanitize everything and use a siphon hose rather than pour.
To be honest I dont even have a glass one gallon jug yet. I was just told I need a stopper. I just wanted to start making some ghetto wine/hooch in an apple juice container bought from the store. I plan on fermenting right into it so I do not have to deal with sanitizing another bottle. So I dont need the stopper unless I have secondary jug to poor it into? Do I need to buy a glass one gallon jug? Thanks.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
cyberlord
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboBrewing View Post
To be honest I dont even have a glass one gallon jug yet. I was just told I need a stopper. I just wanted to start making some ghetto wine/hooch in an apple juice container bought from the store. I plan on fermenting right into it so I do not have to deal with sanitizing another bottle. So I dont need the stopper unless I have secondary jug to poor it into? Do I need to buy a glass one gallon jug? Thanks.
You "should" use a stopper and air lock, but many a brew has been made without one. If you want to forgo the airlock then use a ziplock bag and rubber band to seal off the opening. The co2 pressure will blow up the bag and it will leak out past the seal from the rubber band but let little air back in while under pressure. Once it's done fermenting and you let the pressure out of the bag all bets are off.

I guess you could bottle right out of the primary if you're careful and skip the secondary and bottling bucket steps, they just make clearing and bottling so much easier.

Having said all that, if you are going to do more brewing I recommend getting equipment (glass jugs, stoppers, airlocks, hydrometer, sanitizer - as a minimum) as well as some good yeast made for brewing and not bread yeast. You'll like the outcome better.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
cyberlord
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboBrewing View Post
If you notice they raise the price on the ones that qualify for the super saver shipping so it basically costs the same as the cheaper one when you add the shipping cost. If you can, find a home brew store near you and support your local economy.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

while I agree about buying local, he said he has Amazon prime - so no shipping costs..

Quick Reply