New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Beer to Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
WVMJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 20

If you guys dont follow the beermaking instructions carefully why are you so compulsive with wine kits? Do follow the basic instructions, but I always like to add something extra, otherwise you are just making what everyone else is making. Some dried elderberries or black currant raisins, a bottle of Lonza peach nectar, anything to add a little something extra that makes it yours instead of just another batch of the same wine everyone else can make. WVMJ

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMJ View Post
If you guys dont follow the beermaking instructions carefully why are you so compulsive with wine kits? Do follow the basic instructions, but I always like to add something extra, otherwise you are just making what everyone else is making. Some dried elderberries or black currant raisins, a bottle of Lonza peach nectar, anything to add a little something extra that makes it yours instead of just another batch of the same wine everyone else can make. WVMJ
I like to experiement around with the beer kits because I find that their flavor can be uninteresting and one-dimensional. I usually add steeped grains, or a micro-mash, additional DME, flavor hops, or maybe some spices. The point for me with the beer kit is to get the brewing done in an hour or less.

With the wine kits, particularly the top end ones, the juice is typically flavor balanced, acid balanced and sugar balanced very well right out of the package. And at $140 or so a batch, I'm less inclined to be experimental. The prep time is already less than 20 minutes.

I do make 1 to 3 gallon batches of fruit wines, ciders, meads, etc. where I can get creative, although those can get expensive too depending on the ingredients (like $16 a pound for heather honey)

Old 01-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #13
tjbechtel
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Put my first batch on tonight! I added 5 lbs of sugar due to the low level of ABV! Made the wife help me! Hopefully once she tries it she will be hooked thanks for the insight!

Old 01-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #14
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbechtel
Put my first batch on tonight! I added 5 lbs of sugar due to the low level of ABV! Made the wife help me! Hopefully once she tries it she will be hooked thanks for the insight!
Where was the ABV before you added sugar?

Old 01-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #15
tjbechtel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

6.5%

Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbechtel View Post
6.5%
What kind of wine kit did you use? Because the ones I am familiar with use no added sugar. If you add the correct amount of water to white wine kits they should come in at about 18-20 brix (OG 72 - 80)

What did the instructions say about how much water to add?

Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #17
tjbechtel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It was a island mist kit and it said to fill up the remainder of the 6 gallons with water didn't give a specific measurement

Old 01-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #18
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbechtel View Post
It was a island mist kit and it said to fill up the remainder of the 6 gallons with water didn't give a specific measurement
So an Island Mist kit contains 7.5 L of juice. The instructions say put 2 L of hot water in the primary and stir in the bentonite. Then you pour in the 7.5 L, put 4 L of warm water in the bag, rinse it out and pour that into the fermenter. So now you have 13.5 L of water and juice in the fermenter. The kit makes 23 L so you must add another 9.5 L of water to top up the fermenter to 23 L.

If you did that, you should have had a starting gravity of 48 to 52 points at 72-75 F. If it finishes slightly below 00 the way the instructions say, that would give you an ABV of 6.7%. In other words, it's kind of like a wine cooler.

Adding 5 pounds of sugar should give you an OG around 57 and an ABV of around 7.6%. If that's what you wanted, I'd give it plenty of time to age. Having never done the Island Mist kits I can't say how they age out, but it might be a bit "hot" alcohol-wise.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:23 AM   #19
tjbechtel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRGeorge

So an Island Mist kit contains 7.5 L of juice. The instructions say put 2 L of hot water in the primary and stir in the bentonite. Then you pour in the 7.5 L, put 4 L of warm water in the bag, rinse it out and pour that into the fermenter. So now you have 13.5 L of water and juice in the fermenter. The kit makes 23 L so you must add another 9.5 L of water to top up the fermenter to 23 L.

If you did that, you should have had a starting gravity of 48 to 52 points at 72-75 F. If it finishes slightly below 00 the way the instructions say, that would give you an ABV of 6.7%. In other words, it's kind of like a wine cooler.

Adding 5 pounds of sugar should give you an OG around 57 and an ABV of around 7.6%. If that's what you wanted, I'd give it plenty of time to age. Having never done the Island Mist kits I can't say how they age out, but it might be a bit "hot" alcohol-wise.
I have nothing but time with this, I will monitor with my hydrometer and hope for the best

Old 01-06-2013, 04:56 AM   #20
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

OK, I hope your wife is patient too. I'm just guessing, but I reckon your wine will be at its best some time around Earth Day! An auspicious indulgence! Time to get a batch going for Memorial Day weekend?

Quick Reply