The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Beer bucket for wine primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Beer bucket for wine primary

I have two primary buckets I have been using for beer. They are stained with idophor but otherwise there in good condition. I was going to use one for a primary for wine. Is this a no no Even if I clean and sanitize it well?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I use the same buckets for mead, wine and beer. You can't use them for secondaries for wine, because there will be too much head-space for air, but for primaries, no problem.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
I use the same buckets for mead, wine and beer. You can't use them for secondaries for wine, because there will be too much head-space for air, but for primaries, no problem.

What's wrong with headspace for air? It's all gonna wind up being CO2 anyway, right?

Old 02-18-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
ron,ar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default maybe ok

I know from experiance that plastic tends to hold flavors from previous use. My belief is that it won't make a whole lot of difference in the wine except that the beer buckets can leave some odd flavors in wine.
It is real easy to become overcrowded with buckets and a lot of folks have a bucket for wine primary, another for wine secondary, same for beer, plus a couple to rack into and maybe one with a spigot to bottle with. Next thing you have 8-10 buckets and maybe a few glass carboys also.
I would go to your local school cafeteria and bum a used food bucket (strawberries, blueberries,etc, NOT pickles or any other acidy food) these can be cleaned/sanitized and become disposable. Don't keep the buckets too long after different beers/wines have been in them as they will impart other flavors to wine. This may not mean much if you are serving it at a block party but in a competition or trying to impress the inlaws it might make a difference. Buckets are too easy to come by to keep using the same ones over and over. Having said that, my very first beer attemptwas made in a used 90 wt gear oil bucket, cleaned and sanitized. I have learned a lot since then. I buy 5 gallon glass bottles for 5 bucks off the bottled water truck.

Quick Reply