*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Banana and Ginger wine 1st try

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
Mad_Monk_2k14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Banana and Ginger wine 1st try

Hello all,
A while back I made a batch of mixed fruit wine, my 1st attempt and was quite amazed at how it has turned out so I thought I'd try my hand at something different this time.
I just started a new wine and thought i would post here for any suggestions.. I know i have done this backwards by already getting the wine going then asking for suggestions but it's done now

Recipe for approx 3 gallons:
7.7 lb (3.5 kg) Bananas (very ripe)
2.2 lb (1 kg) Raisins (not the golden ones)
3.3 lb (1.5 kg) Brewers sugar
70 grams (approx) Ginger root
220 gram bottle of white grape juice concentrate

Literally, things I had floating about the kitchen, thought i would put them to some use. I didnt have any acid blend so substituted the white grape juice concentrate and a dash of lemon/lime juice. (my main concern)

I simmered the sliced bananas for almost hour on a very low heat, didn't have any kind of cloth bag to use as a strainer so just put the pulped fruit straight in to the main bucket and gave them a good whisk to break them all up. around 3 gallons in there now total.
Just waiting for it to cool then i will add a teaspoon of pectolase, nutrients and bring the yeast in..
(I should add, I dont have any campden tablets so made doubly sure of good sanitization, boiling and sodium percarbinate solution for all the equipment used)

Ive seen various recipes and thought id add a little bit of a zing with the ginger and see how it goes...

so what do you think? will it be ok? what to do with it next? or any suggestions for next time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I think it looks great overal. I do think however the banana is a little light. Once fermentation is done and you get a good thick layer of sediment. I would rack this over another kg of ripe banana and I like more ginger in the wine. If using fresh then close to 1/2 kg of ginger should perk this up a bit. But as banana and ginger are alike you will need 6 months to a year of aging before this peeks if not more. My last ginger mead seemed to peek out and be really good at the 20 month mark.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 06-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
Mad_Monk_2k14
Recipes 

Just added the nutrients and yeast and bang, it was off like a rocket
SG seems a bit low on 1.0746 though (although that is at 32deg c / 89.6 F so from what ive read, it would be pretty close to 1.080 with the temp difference) ,
Am i right in assuming thats from not having enough bananas in the mix?
Thank you for the reply, you answered my question perfect as i was writing, yes i think I will do that with just bananas for the next rack, no skins, it did seem a bit low compared to some recipes... Still have a big ginger root left so will throw that in as well..

Old 06-04-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I agree with Aropolis, a little light on bananas and ginger, if you want some ginger zing an easy way is to freeze the root solid, then nuc it in the microwave just until its thawed and use one of those lemon squeezers that press out the juice. You might have to add some amylase since you didnt use the skins which add a lot of flavor, were you nanners black ripe?

WVMJ

Old 06-05-2014, 04:42 AM   #5
Mad_Monk_2k14
Recipes 

hi, thanks for the reply WVMJ, yes the bananas were very ripe some black and i did leave the skins on when i sliced them..

Quick Reply