HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Back sweeting wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
MoBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Back sweeting wine

I am making my first batch of wine, blueberry pomegranate, from frozen concentrate. I have just stabilized it using potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate. I want to sweeten the wine and was wondering when to do this, before aging the wine or after aging and right before bottling? Also what is the best way to sweeten, making a simple syrup or using more frozen concentrate?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
yeastluvr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can do it now or before bottling, either one. I have done it both ways. Sometimes when I want a selection I backsweeten at bottling time. I take out several 1/2 cups of wine and progressively sweeten them to see which I like and to see how much sweetener to put in each bottle. Sometimes I use white sugar and sometimes a mixture of sugar and concentrate. It is a little more work this way but you can leave some dry, some semi sweet and some sweet if that's what your looking for.

On the other hand, if you know you want it a certain sweetness, it is easier to just rack it onto sugar or concentrate and either let it age more or bottle it. Oh, and I do like to make a thick simple syrup as it mixes with the wine.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
Rodnboro
Recipes 

I like to sweeten mine before too much aging. I have sweetened some clear batches only to cloud them up again. In my experience, the taste is not affected either way. I've made this concentrate wine several times, and sweeten with sugar if 3 cans per gallon is used. I draw some wine out, heat it w/sugar and add back in as not to dilute the batch. Good advice from yeastluvr too.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBrewing
I am making my first batch of wine, blueberry pomegranate, from frozen concentrate. I have just stabilized it using potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate. I want to sweeten the wine and was wondering when to do this, before aging the wine or after aging and right before bottling? Also what is the best way to sweeten, making a simple syrup or using more frozen concentrate?
I add a simple syrup solution after the wine has cleared. It's probably a good idea to let it age a bit before bottling.

Quick Reply