Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Back Sweetin Muscadine Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
kevinstan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Back Sweetin Muscadine Wine

What would be the best way to back sweetin my muscadine wine ? It's finished and I will be bottling it next weekend. It finished a little dry and I want to make it a little sweeter. Recipe says glycerin, wine conditioner, or simple syrup with just sugar and water to sweetin it up once finished. I was wondering if anyone can suggest one method over the other.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I prefer simple syrup, 2 parts sugar, 1 part water and citric acid...recipes/instructions all over the web. But be sure you have stabilized with k-meta and sorbate or the wine referments (unless yeast are dead due to alcohol toxicity or pasteurization). Glycerin imparts some sweetness but nothing like a sugar, it is more of a body builder. Wine conditioner:do not waste your money, you still add k-meta and sorbate when you use it (even though you think it has all of that taken care of...only your wine conditioner is stabilized), but some people like the simplicity of it.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 02-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
I prefer simple syrup, 2 parts sugar, 1 part water and citric acid...recipes/instructions all over the web. But be sure you have stabilized with k-meta and sorbate or the wine referments (unless yeast are dead due to alcohol toxicity or pasteurization). Glycerin imparts some sweetness but nothing like a sugar, it is more of a body builder. Wine conditioner:do not waste your money, you still add k-meta and sorbate when you use it (even though you think it has all of that taken care of...only your wine conditioner is stabilized), but some people like the simplicity of it.
+1
This how I would do it too. Add the citric acid to taste. It adds 'zing', but too much is not good.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
kevinstan
Recipes 

I have acid blend which I think has citric acid in it, but I don't have just citric acid. I am guessing I shouldn't use acid blend with the simple syrup ?

Old 02-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4482 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan View Post
I have acid blend which I think has citric acid in it, but I don't have just citric acid. I am guessing I shouldn't use acid blend with the simple syrup ?
If the wine needs some tartness after you sweeten it, you could use acid blend. Muscadine is usually tart enough on its own, though.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
kevinstan
Recipes 

Can I use the Ball brand citric acid that can be purchased at walmart or kroger ? Is this the same thing or should I purchase citric acid specific for brewing at my LHBS ?

Old 02-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4482 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan View Post
Can I use the Ball brand citric acid that can be purchased at walmart or kroger ? Is this the same thing or should I purchase citric acid specific for brewing at my LHBS ?
It's all the same thing. You could even use a squeeze of lemon if you want, instead of the citric acid.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
mrbeachroach
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have made an amazing muscadine, and this is what I did in your senerio. Put all in a bottling bucket, and made a simple syrup with white sugar and spring water added to taste.

Came out perfect. I do heat the sugar water mix so that it mixes better. Also let IT cool slightly.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
mrbeachroach
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I also pasteurized the muscadine. I was cautious , but it did not effect the taste, and no exploding bottles.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The addition of citric acid, along with holding at a certain temp, when making simple syrup prevents recrystalization of the sugar. Cream of tartar is also a substitute for citric acid. You can make a batch, stash in bottle, dose with k-meta and sorbate and keep on counter. Or in refrig if you do not add KMS&sorbate. Comes in handy when you are getting ready to backsweeten. Great way to make coffee syrups this way.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply