Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > back sweeten question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
Firstnten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default back sweeten question

I got 5 Gallons of apricot wine made from Oregon puree that ready to be bottled . It needs to be back sweeten IMO what should I use and how much.

I was thinking splenda but I have a ton of cornstarch from extract kits that came with primer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstnten View Post
I got 5 Gallons of apricot wine made from Oregon puree that ready to be bottled . It needs to be back sweeten IMO what should I use and how much.

I was thinking splenda but I have a ton of cornstarch from extract kits that came with primer.

cornstarch? you mean Dextrose (corn sugar) right?

dextrose is highly fermentable - if used in a non stabilized wine (ie: the yeast still lives) it'll carbonate the beverage... not back sweeten it.
now if you are totally confident your yeast are totally dead (not dormant)
you could backsweeten with a fermentable... but if any of those yeast are still viable you'll end up with a mess unless you are using pressure rated bottles and closure methods.

Splenda used in moderation works well, and won't kick off a bottle fermentation.
Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Old 04-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3119 Times on 3036 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Have you stabilized the wine yet?

If so, make a simple syrup of table sugar and water, add to clean carboy and rack wine on top. Let it sit for a while to make sure the yeast have been killed and then bottle. There are multiple calculators to tell you how much sugar you need to add. I use WineCalc.

If your wine isn't stabilized, you can stabilize by Stirring 1 campden tablet per gallon and 1/2 tsp Potassium Sorbate per gallon into 1/4 cup of cool water and add to the carboy that the wine is being racked into.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Firstnten
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The yeast is proly dormant the room stays between 60-68f it's in a secondary now. with zero bubbles for four weeks.

I don't want to use camp or sorbate. so how much Splenda? 1 tbl spoon per gallon?

Old 04-28-2009, 12:53 AM   #5
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstnten View Post
The yeast is proly dormant the room stays between 60-68f it's in a secondary now. with zero bubbles for four weeks.

I don't want to use camp or sorbate. so how much Splenda? 1 tbl spoon per gallon?
I used 3/4 of a cup to 5 gallons of hard cider to bring it to what I would call sweet, almost off dry. but my palate may not be the same as yours - I'd draw off a pint in a glass glass and add splenda in tiny amounts until you get the right sweetness level - then multiply that amount of splenda by 39 for 5 gallons ( 40 pints, less your 1 test pint)
Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Old 04-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
Firstnten
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffalupagus View Post
I used 3/4 of a cup to 5 gallons of hard cider to bring it to what I would call sweet, almost off dry. but my palate may not be the same as yours - I'd draw off a pint in a glass glass and add splenda in tiny amounts until you get the right sweetness level - then multiply that amount of splenda by 39 for 5 gallons ( 40 pints, less your 1 test pint)
Good idea thanks!!!!!

Quick Reply