The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > applewein with grape juice concentrat question?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 01:36 AM   #1
beer_me_ASAP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default applewein with grape juice concentrat question?

Just taking a different approach to applewein with the grape juice concentrate. My question is how long does it take till applewein starts getting a little clearer? This is my first applewein but I wanted a grapier flavor if possible thats why I added the grape juice concentrate. Another question I have is what is the best way to make wines sweeter if this turns out to be really dry.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 02:10 AM   #2
MikeInCtown
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In general if wines turn out too dry then you need to kill the yeast and add back table sugar (pure cane) to sweeten to taste.

Bottled - Continental Pilsner, Island Mist Mango Citrus, Island Mist Wildberry Shiraz
Up next - AH Foster's clone, Labatt's clone, Hard Apple Cider,
The Independence Street Brew House

Old 11-10-2008, 02:33 AM   #3
beer_me_ASAP
Recipes 

how much sugar should I add to a five gallon batch of this wine?

Old 11-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer_me_ASAP View Post
Just taking a different approach to applewein with the grape juice concentrate. My question is how long does it take till applewein starts getting a little clearer? This is my first applewein but I wanted a grapier flavor if possible thats why I added the grape juice concentrate. Another question I have is what is the best way to make wines sweeter if this turns out to be really dry.
I posted a recipe in the Cider forum that uses grape juice concentrate along with apple juice for a cider but I find that it doesn't really affect the taste that much and you can't even tell it's in there unless you knew it. It does add a little body to the finished product though. Big Kahuna tried a bottle of it. You might ask him about his impressions.

The cider should be clear in 2-3 months.

I like to use frozen apple juice concentrate to backsweeten. It supplies concentrated sweetness as well as more concentrated apple flavor. Be aware that it will begin to ferment again unless you've allowed it to ferment completely dry and then stabilized it with sorbate and metabisulfite prior to back sweetening. Depending upon the sweetness level you desire, anywhere from 1/2 to one can of frozen concentrate should add the desired level of sweetness to a five gallon batch.

Quick Reply