HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Apple wine strong alcohol flavour

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
scorpien222
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Apple wine strong alcohol flavour

I have recently made two gallons of apple wine following a recipe for crab apple wine I have followed it to the letter bar using a different type of apple when I took my OG reading I knew it was going to be strong around 17-18 ABV but I had only put in the sugars as advised by the recipe I think it was 1.5KG of sugar per gallon I don't have my recipe on me so this could be a little out.

I racked off my wine yesterday for the first time and decided to have a little sip of it and the first taste to smack you in the face is pure alcohol and then the apple comes through after it does tell me I new to age the wine for 6 months will this flavor mellow out ?? Will the apple flavor become more prominent through aging and mask the alcohol flavor ? Would adding oak chips help mask the flavor ? Any advice would be appreciated

Justin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
scorpien222
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The OG was 1.120.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpien222 View Post
I have recently made two gallons of apple wine following a recipe for crab apple wine I have followed it to the letter bar using a different type of apple when I took my OG reading I knew it was going to be strong around 17-18 ABV but I had only put in the sugars as advised by the recipe I think it was 1.5KG of sugar per gallon I don't have my recipe on me so this could be a little out.

I racked off my wine yesterday for the first time and decided to have a little sip of it and the first taste to smack you in the face is pure alcohol and then the apple comes through after it does tell me I new to age the wine for 6 months will this flavor mellow out ?? Will the apple flavor become more prominent through aging and mask the alcohol flavor ? Would adding oak chips help mask the flavor ? Any advice would be appreciated

Justin
Yes, it will get better with time. If you do sample it along the way and its still too crazy, just cut it with some apple juice or sprite as a mixer to make it drinkable.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It depends, for a good answer we need to know the yeast used and fermentation temps. But I can tell you that at that og its going to take a lot of aging, at such a young age the alcohol will be prominent but it should fade. I would leave it 6 months, then give it a little taste while bottling. If its still not there, leave it another 6 before opening the first bottle.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5453 Times on 3929 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpien222 View Post
The OG was 1.120.
That's a very very high OG. Did your instructions say to start at 1.120? My apple and crabapple wine is best at 1.085-1.100 as an OG. An OG of 1.120 will make a wine that is very "hot" for a long time.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 09-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
scorpien222
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

That's a very very high OG. Did your instructions say to start at 1.120? My apple and crabapple wine is best at 1.085-1.100 as an OG. An OG of 1.120 will make a wine that is very "hot" for a long time.
The recipe didn't give an expected OG it was from a book I was bought and I just followed the ingredients listed.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
scorpien222
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac
It depends, for a good answer we need to know the yeast used and fermentation temps. But I can tell you that at that og its going to take a lot of aging, at such a young age the alcohol will be prominent but it should fade. I would leave it 6 months, then give it a little taste while bottling. If its still not there, leave it another 6 before opening the first bottle.
I used champagne yeast and the fermentation temps were around 15 degrees.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

With that combination, "hot" alcohols aren't the problem. My experience with high OG apple wines is they take a long time to mellow and the apple stays in the background.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #9
scorpien222
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok so it's basically a case of just age it and see what happens ?

Old 09-12-2012, 05:36 AM   #10
rhartwel41
Recipes 

I made some apple wine a few months ago and at bottling it was pretty hot and hardly drinkable. I opened a bottle this past weekend and it's drastically better then it was at bottling. I'm going to have a hard time letting it age for another few months.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS