Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Apple wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #11
vanillabean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Yeah that makes sense. Well I haven't added the yeast yet, so it made sense to me to just strain into another primary. I added some grape concentrate and more sugar. Sg is now sitting at 1.010. I think I'm ready to add the yeast and nutrient. I am certainly doing it the hard way lol. Oh well. I think I am back on track

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4284 Times on 3121 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillabean View Post
Yeah that makes sense. Well I haven't added the yeast yet, so it made sense to me to just strain into another primary. I added some grape concentrate and more sugar. Sg is now sitting at 1.010. I think I'm ready to add the yeast and nutrient. I am certainly doing it the hard way lol. Oh well. I think I am back on track
I don't think your SG is possible- run and check it again. It should be more like 1.085-1.100.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #13
vanillabean
Recipes 

I wrote it wrong. It's 1.10

Old 09-18-2012, 04:15 AM   #15
vanillabean
Recipes 

I checked my apple wine tonight and it is still bubbling like crazy. I know you crabapple wine says to rack at day 6. Is it supposed to calm down first?

Old 10-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #16
vanillabean
Recipes 

Update on the apple wine. S.g. Is about .998. And I've racked it a few times. Should I sulfite again at some point. Also, is bulk aging or bottling better at this stage? How do you know when to bottle and or stabilize and sweeten? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Old 10-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4284 Times on 3121 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillabean View Post
Update on the apple wine. S.g. Is about .998. And I've racked it a few times. Should I sulfite again at some point. Also, is bulk aging or bottling better at this stage? How do you know when to bottle and or stabilize and sweeten? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
Keep it in the carboy, topped up, and rack every 60 days whenever you have lees. Once you stop dropping lees and the wine is completely clear (like read a newspaper through it), then it can be aged in the carboy or bottled. Use 1 campden tablet per gallon, crushed and dissolved in a little boiling water, at every other racking.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:00 AM   #18
rhartwel41
Recipes 

When I back sweeten my apple wine I always boil down some apple juice to give it more of an apple taste and then add some sugar to the boiled down apple juice so it's more concentrated. It ends up tasting amazing an I normally give a few bottles away to client at work. I have about 30 or so pounds of apples waiting to be started as soon as my banana is moved to secondary.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:35 AM   #19
vanillabean
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Keep it in the carboy, topped up, and rack every 60 days whenever you have lees. Once you stop dropping lees and the wine is completely clear (like read a newspaper through it), then it can be aged in the carboy or bottled. Use 1 campden tablet per gallon, crushed and dissolved in a little boiling water, at every other racking.
Perfect. That's what I needed to know.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:40 AM   #20
vanillabean
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhartwel41
When I back sweeten my apple wine I always boil down some apple juice to give it more of an apple taste and then add some sugar to the boiled down apple juice so it's more concentrated. It ends up tasting amazing an I normally give a few bottles away to client at work. I have about 30 or so pounds of apples waiting to be started as soon as my banana is moved to secondary.
How many pound do you usually use for a 5 gallon batch? I used 40 lbs for mine ( it's what I got off my tree this year)

Quick Reply