Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Apple raseberry!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 04:08 AM   #1
redstar89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Apple raseberry!

HEY GUYS! I AM mAkING SOME APPLE RASPBERRY I USED MY PRIMARY BEER FERMENTER FOR THE FIRST FERMENTATION cleaned of course! but im wondering if i rack it into my bottling bucked will the extra head space throw every thing off?! its 4 gal on a 6 gal bucket SOOO worried any tips on how to make this wine come out good

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

At this point, assuming your O.G. has dropped by at least 2/3, you really would want to make sure there is very little headspace in the secondary container. Two gallons of headspace is too much, even one gallon is too much. If your wine is still fermenting and your bucket is airlocked and the spigot plus gaskets are airtighy you may have a protective CO2 blanket for a bit, but that will not solve the longterm issue of bulk aging. Can you get your hands on four 1-gal glass jugs or a 3-gal plus a 1-gal carboy?

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 12-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
redstar89
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

im flAT BROKE

Old 12-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Get the word out to your friends/family/coworkers that you are seeking gallon glass jugs. Other than that, what about cleaning/sanitizing something which will not interact with the ferment and "sink' it in the bucket? Simply displacing some volume. Do you have a glass pyrex bowl, or a few of them, some plates, etc. I know some who place bricks in double layer of ziploc bag to displace volume in bucket--I have never used that particular technique.
Or, ask at an area bakery, even at grocery store, if they can hold a few of their plastic buckets with lid (frosting, filling, etc) for you. They tend to be anywhere from 1-3 gallons, and free!!
Stop by the recycling center, if you have one, and see if they would allow you to take a few glass jugs?

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 12-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 65

What if you bought a gallon of water and put it in a ziplock bag, and sunk it.

Quick Reply