Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Apple Dessert Wine Stuck
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Try making sure your ferment is around 70F. Sounds like you have a plan. I bet it does taste nice and sweet right now.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarry
Ec 1116 is a good yeast but would not push it past 12%
The 1116 is good for 16-18%

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
rgarry
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofynewfie

The 1116 is good for 16-18%
I figured that if making spirits that pushing it pasted 12% gives off flavors that it would probably be worse with wine since you drink it all (spirits you distill and selectively just take the hearts). Maybe those flavors aren't nasties in wine. At the higher alcohol percentages, the yeast get stressed. I don't make wine but I bet there is someone who makes spirits and wine and can clear this up.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarry View Post
I figured that if making spirits that pushing it pasted 12% gives off flavors that it would probably be worse with wine since you drink it all (spirits you distill and selectively just take the hearts). Maybe those flavors aren't nasties in wine. At the higher alcohol percentages, the yeast get stressed. I don't make wine but I bet there is someone who makes spirits and wine and can clear this up.
Not at all. I can make an outstanding 18% wine, with wine yeast. I normally go with 13% or so, so it keeps well and doesn't take ages to age out, but it's easy to go to 18% or so without any off-flavors.

Distilling is illegal, and we don't talk about it on this forum, but that is a different beast entirely.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #15
rgarry
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Not at all. I can make an outstanding 18% wine, with wine yeast. I normally go with 13% or so, so it keeps well and doesn't take ages to age out, but it's easy to go to 18% or so without any off-flavors.

Distilling is illegal, and we don't talk about it on this forum, but that is a different beast entirely.
It is indeed illegal but having the knowledge is not. I am one of those guys who reads everything. Guess I need to read about winemaking. Don't want to derail this anymore so I will go to the corner

Old 11-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
ProfessorPlum
Recipes 

Actually, where I live (good ol' Montana), distilling for personal use is not illegal. In fact, my local brew shop sells distilling equipment and supplies. There are many states where distilling is in fact quite legal, but most of the residents of those states, it seems, don't know that. Anyhow, back to my apfelwein. It's been a few days now since I added the K1V yeast, and although there has not been any airlock activity, the gravity has dropped by a couple points, so I will keep checking it over the next few weeks. So another question has come to mind since the last time. If it does attenuate down to a tolerable gravity, would it be advisable to rack to a secondary for long-term conditioning/aging? And since it will likely take forever to mellow, should I consider some sort of stabilizing? Sodium or potassium mbs, or pasteurization, or anything else?

Old 11-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #17
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorPlum
Actually, where I live (good ol' Montana), distilling for personal use is not illegal. In fact, my local brew shop sells distilling equipment and supplies. There are many states where distilling is in fact quite legal, but most of the residents of those states, it seems, don't know that. Anyhow, back to my apfelwein. It's been a few days now since I added the K1V yeast, and although there has not been any airlock activity, the gravity has dropped by a couple points, so I will keep checking it over the next few weeks. So another question has come to mind since the last time. If it does attenuate down to a tolerable gravity, would it be advisable to rack to a secondary for long-term conditioning/aging? And since it will likely take forever to mellow, should I consider some sort of stabilizing? Sodium or potassium mbs, or pasteurization, or anything else?
Not aware of one state in the US where distillation of alcohol is legal without a license from ATF/TTB per a federal law. The LHBS sells the set ups on the premise that you may be distilling water, fuel, essential oil, etc....or be licensed. Some farms use distillation to produce fuel to operate equipment and may need a permit. Plus some states require that a seller notify the ATF/TTB when the sell a still that is even reportedly going to be used for things other than liquor/spirits. Varies from state to state, plus some sellers report it regardless. Just because equipment is available does not make it legal to produce liquor with it...without proper permit/license. I know some states are edging into Craft Distillation, a micro-distillery handling the taxes and such for the individual who wants to distill at the micro's premises. We have one opening 15 minutes from my home here in KY and I am quite interested to learn how their setup will work along with fees. Heck, I would even volunteer there!

Now to your wine...thrilled thst you have hydrometer action! I would make sure it is in a carboy with airlock for bulk aging. Rack every 30-60 days as long as it is dropping sediment. A ten degree temp drop once finished fermenting will help with clearing. The k-meta/campden only needs to added quarterly....a free SO2 test kit improves your SO2 dosing as it takes the guesswork out of it.
If you plan to backsweeten, I personally recommend dosing with sorbate plus k-meta and sweetener source once wine is clear and getting closer to bottling time, perhaps a month prior. This will give you time to monitor for refermentation and you may have to rack one final time prior to bottling because you may have a fine layer of sediment drop. I do not have experience with pasteurization to that extent.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 11-08-2012, 12:28 AM   #18
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

1. The Yopper distilling police will come get you.

2. This is a wine forum.

3. You need a federal permit and pay taxes to legally distill spirits.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #19
ProfessorPlum
Recipes 

Well, my local laws are very loose about many things the federal government frowns upon, and state and federal laws are often in conflict, so it is illegal anywhere in the US to distill without a license according to federal laws, so I guess that'd be the bottom line no matter what state and local laws say. Anyhow, novalou is correct: this is a wine forum, so I digress.
I've kept the apfelwein at about 75F the past several weeks, but it will now be closer to 70F since I'm using the same temp control system for a batch of beer I'm working on. I'll continue to check the gravity, but would be very surprised if it dropped much lower and I may still consider making another batch and blending in order to get it to a palatable gravity without watering it down. There will be no backsweetening as this will be plenty sweet already, even if it does reach 18% abv. That was one of the criteria when I was planning this.
So again, thanks for the replies. As far as my mission when embarking on this experiment goes (learning and having some fun), mission accomplished.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Our forum rules specifically prohibit distillation talk (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/faq.php?...es_regulations) please see rule 2.

This is what you agreed to when you signed up on our forum.

Calling me the "Yooper police" because I've asked people to obey our forum rules isn't going to win you any brownie points.

Anyway, due to the thread derailment and the inability to refrain from continuing the discussion this thread is closed.

And it is NOT legal in Montana, or anywhere in the US, to distill spirits without the proper licensing.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply