Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Apple/cherry wine still fermenting since August

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
arkenbergcn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apple/cherry wine still fermenting since August

I started some apple/cherry wine (from concentrate) back in August and every time I have racked the wine it has been very carbonated. I have degassed a couple of times during racking, but I am still getting some bubbles along with a very small amount of fine lees (a dusting). Is this normal? This is the longest I have ever had to wait on wine. Oh, the SG is under 1.0...... Thanks.

3 Old Orchard Apple/Cherry Red Star Montracet Yeast 1/4 tsp tannin
1 tsp pectic enzyme 5 tsp american oak

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Have you added any potassium metabisulfite yet? Its possible you have a malic acid fermentation going on? WVMJ

Old 12-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
arkenbergcn
Recipes 

I haven't added any potassium metabisulfite yet. Wasn't sure if I could do that at this point. If it is malic acid fermentation what does that do to my wine? So far it tastes fine - just a little carbonated.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
Sammyk
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I believe what you have and are seeing is C02 and the wine needs to be de-gassed. Carbonation is the clue after this much time.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkenbergcn
I haven't added any potassium metabisulfite yet. Wasn't sure if I could do that at this point. If it is malic acid fermentation what does that do to my wine? So far it tastes fine - just a little carbonated.
You'll see CO2 bubbles as well with malolactic fermentation. It converts malic acid to lactic acid.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
arkenbergcn
Recipes 

The bubbles are pretty large when they rise to the top of the carboy and there are not a lot of them. They do not look like the normal fermentation bubbles. I am pretty new at this so I cannot tell what's going on for sure. The good thing is that the wine tastes good so far and it looks like it is OK. I guess all I can do is give it a little more time and see what happens. I was just hoping to have this wine bottled already. I guess you can't rush wine!

Old 01-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #7
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

You need to degas the wine. Your LHBS should carry a degas see that you can attach to a drill and then whip the air out. It's an important step in winemaking.

After you do the degassing let the wine settle then rack and bottle.

Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My guess is you in fact ARE still fermenting. Close to done but now there are so few yeast its taking quite a bit of time.

Question. Did you rack off the yeast before fermentation was finished? I know you said you'ved racked several times, but when was the first?

You must be close to done, but my wine routinely goes below 1.00, often to .990 or .980. So I would say the very few yeast left may be trying to tackle the last bit of fermentables. If that's the case, I would let it sit for another month (or two). I know that may not be the answer you are hoping for, but I hope this helps!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4959 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSlayer View Post
You must be close to done, but my wine routinely goes below 1.00, often to .990 or .980. So I would say the very few yeast left may be trying to tackle the last bit of fermentables. If that's the case, I would let it sit for another month (or two). I know that may not be the answer you are hoping for, but I hope this helps!
I agree that a wine would go below 1.000, to .990, but not .980. That must be a typo?

Anyway, check the SG now and see where it is. It does sound like a MLF going on right now, so I'd let it sit and finish and then sulfite it.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #10
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

I agree that a wine would go below 1.000, to .990, but not .980. That must be a typo?

Anyway, check the SG now and see where it is. It does sound like a MLF going on right now, so I'd let it sit and finish and then sulfite it.
Possible that I'm reading my hydrometer wrong Yooper, but I think I've been down that far a few times. Scratch that. I HAVE been below .990. (Just looked at my hydrometer), but just one notch down, meaning .988! Wow. Read that wrong at least twice in my memory of my readings. Glad you pointed that out, but it means I mislabeled the ABV on my last Syrah... :-(

Quick Reply