The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > apfelwien turned out great!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 01:09 AM   #1
sheephrdr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default apfelwien turned out great!

made 2 gallons of apple wine according to recipe on site... heres what i did

i bought 2 1 gallon jugs of 100% presidence choice apple juice no preservatives.. i added around a pound of sugar to each jug, then split the yeast (lavlen champagn) I did the primary right in the jugs of juice from the store and just loosened the caps to let the air out.. primary for about 2 weeks then secondary in glass for a few months.. one gallon i made with apple spices and the other plain..

the plain apple wine tastes supprisingly like a good chrisp white wine with a hint of apple taste.. it measures in around 10-11%

very good and thanks for the recipes and ideas here

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Mirage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What a coincidence! We bottled ours yesterday! It is a fantastic recipe and glad yours came out as good as ours did. We didn't try spices but maybe next time we will. It almost tastes like a more alcoholic version of Harpoon's apple cider but without the carbonation (laziness on our part lol). Happy drinking!

On Tap: Heavenly Scourge Black IPA and Beecave Heffe
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Next: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale and Pliny the Elder Clone

Old 01-07-2010, 02:58 AM   #3
danculwell
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephrdr View Post
made 2 gallons of apple wine according to recipe on site... heres what i did

i bought 2 1 gallon jugs of 100% presidence choice apple juice no preservatives.. i added around a pound of sugar to each jug, then split the yeast (lavlen champagn) I did the primary right in the jugs of juice from the store and just loosened the caps to let the air out.. primary for about 2 weeks then secondary in glass for a few months.. one gallon i made with apple spices and the other plain..

the plain apple wine tastes supprisingly like a good chrisp white wine with a hint of apple taste.. it measures in around 10-11%

very good and thanks for the recipes and ideas here
I'm thinking of trying your in the bottle technique. Did you leave the caps loose or did you vent them every so often. Did you do anything to keep bacteria and O2 out or is it just not an issue?
6.5 Gal bucket Guiness Clone
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking:Mr Beer Wheat, Apfelwein, Graff, Grape, Lemonade, Raspberry, and Cherry Apfelwein, AHS Noble Pils (Ale)
On Deck:Who knows anymore

Old 01-07-2010, 03:02 AM   #4
NAUGHTYDOGBREWING
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made my first batch a while ago... probably 6 months or more. I kegged it, carbed it and swmbo loved it. We even added a little OJ to make Mamosa's, pretty good too.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
sheephrdr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just left the caps loose for the primary, from tight about half a turn loose. I was going to drill a hole in the caps and put airlocks in them but i have brewed without airlocks before with success

Old 01-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
cheesecake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I bottled my batch yesterday its going to be carbed its been going since 11/20 so now its going to sit in bottles for about 6 months

Quick Reply