Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Apfelwein yeast question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 05:48 AM   #31
tom777
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ok, I did manage to try the 3 sample bottles this weekend. It was certainly interesting to try the 3 variations of this recipe. As I still have 2 or 3 more 12oz sample bottles of each batch, I'll give these a little more time and try another round every month or so before cracking open the 1-liter bottles.
For what it's worth, here's my simple first impression of each

Lalvin EC-1118: not actually too different from Montrachet. Not better IMO, but not bad either. Not different enough though to warrant doing this one again any time soon.

Premier Cuvee: a noticeable difference from Montrachet. Kind of hard to put a finger on it, but still very good. Maybe not quite as "wine tasting"... Need to try another one.

Cote des Blancs: the first thing I noticed about this was the lack of any smell... Very smooth though and quite different from the others I think. Quite drinkable.

I know these are kind of lame descriptions, but this kind of stuff is hard to describe for me. Anyway, I'll give these a little more time and report back.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #32
MCH
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom777 View Post
Cote des Blancs: the first thing I noticed about this was the lack of any smell... Very smooth though and quite different from the others I think. Quite drinkable.
Good. I had read in another thread the the Cote De Blanc left a strong buttery taste in a members batch.

Since this is my first Apfelwien batch, I was praying that it would turn out drinkable.
You see every drink of liquor you take kills a thousand brain cells. Now that doesn't much matter 'cos we got billions more. And first the sadness cells die so you smile real big. And then the quiet cells go so you just say everything real loud for no reason at all. That'ok, that's ok because the stupid cells go next, so everything you say is real smart. And finally, come the memory cells. These are tough SOBs to kill.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:04 AM   #33
tom777
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCH View Post
Good. I had read in another thread the the Cote De Blanc left a strong buttery taste in a members batch.

Since this is my first Apfelwien batch, I was praying that it would turn out drinkable.
I kind of remember reading that too. Made me worry a bit as well, but it turned out fine it seems. Good luck with your first batch! It should turn out just fine.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:35 AM   #34
Toppers
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So any other thoughts on Cuvee? Anyone else try it? I have pretty much stopped using Montrachet, only because Cuvee is a friendlier yeast all around (faster, less odor, larger temp range, etc.) and the taste is so good, I can't justify not using it.

In other words I see no gain in using Montrachet over Cuvee.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:48 AM   #35
Toppers
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmm, about 2 seconds after that post I cracked a bottle of Montrachet and it is really good. It is almost aging better than the Cuvee if that's possible.

Ahhh freak it all, no choice but to have 10 gallons of both going at all times just to be sure

Old 08-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #36
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
Hmm, about 2 seconds after that post I cracked a bottle of Montrachet and it is really good. It is almost aging better than the Cuvee if that's possible.
Uh huh, I knew you would see the light.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:33 AM   #37
tom777
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No worries Ed! The Montrachet version is hard to beat and I just made another batch with it myself. Saw I had a few empty EZ-Cap bottles laying around and figured in a month or so I'd have enough. Still, the variants seem pretty good as well -- just different.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #38
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

They were out of the Montrechet at the store and the llavin one that is about the same. But they had Cuvee so that's what I got sounds like I made a lucky choice. I would prefer a sweeter cider as opposed to a dry wine taste.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #39
chip82
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What is 3068 that has been mentioned a few times earlier in this thread?...and by earlier i do me an few years...haha

Quick Reply