Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Apfelwein yeast question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #21
MCH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Update: I purchased some Cote de Blanc from a spice store about an hour away. Pitched it Saturday night and by Sunday night, I had a steady stream of air bubbles percolating. You can literally see it bubbling through the top of the carboy.

You see every drink of liquor you take kills a thousand brain cells. Now that doesn't much matter 'cos we got billions more. And first the sadness cells die so you smile real big. And then the quiet cells go so you just say everything real loud for no reason at all. That'ok, that's ok because the stupid cells go next, so everything you say is real smart. And finally, come the memory cells. These are tough SOBs to kill.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 03:09 AM   #22
tom777
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Toppers - I hope the Premier Cuvee is as good as you say.. I too have chosen to "experiment" a bit. After using Montrachet on the first 2 batches I used EC-1118, Premier Cuvee and Cote des Blancs on the next 3. I just hope these don't turn out to be duds!
While the Montrachet truly produces an excellent result, this is one of the beauties of homebrewing -- the freedom to do something different. The Premier Cuvee batch has now been bottled for just over 1 1/2 months. -- still haven't sampled any of these last 3 batchs, even though I made 3 or 4 12 oz "sampler" bottles of each batch. Speaking of which, I haven't had any Apfelwein at all in a while -- a plentiful pipeline of beer makes it a lot less painful to wait while this stuff ages a bit. Other than the 6 1-liter bottles of my very first batch which was set aside to age, I only have a few 1/2 liter bottles left. These are getting close to 4 months old now so I should give one a try. Batch #2 (also Montrachet) is around 3 1/2 months old and other than a couple samplers which I tried a month or 2 back, is still all there. This was good stuff -- even at 1-2 months old -- should be even better now. I just hope I manage to keep a few around to get to be 1 year old.
Thanks Ed -- for the great yet simple recipe!

Old 07-30-2008, 05:09 AM   #23
Toppers
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom777
Toppers - I hope the Premier Cuvee is as good as you say..

The Premier Cuvee batch has now been bottled for just over 1 1/2 months.
Well, what are you waiting for? More drinking, less typing. Let's find out if Cuvee is truly any good.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:06 PM   #24
tom777
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

sounds like a plan -- I'll throw one of my sample bottles from each of those last 3 batches in the fridge tonight and maybe try 'em out this weekend. I really have no idea what to expect. Perhaps the EC-1118 will be most similar to Montrachet of the 3?

Old 08-01-2008, 05:42 AM   #25
Toppers
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No idea what EC-1118 even is. I think you will be surprised though. Just had a bottle of 6 week Cuvee, and it is exploding with flavor. It doesn't have the crisp bite that montrachet does though (which I like). I also enjoy the Montrachet now that it's coming into age a little more.

Hell I don't know anymore, so I will just split my batches from now on and see what people like. This recipe and apple juice in general is so forgiving, that's part of the fun.

Next up is 3068, thats supposed to be good.

Last edited by Toppers; 08-01-2008 at 05:45 AM.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #26
tom777
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here's a link: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...px?ProdID=4401

Old 08-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #27
tom777
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
Hell I don't know anymore, so I will just split my batches from now on and see what people like. This recipe and apple juice in general is so forgiving, that's part of the fun.

Next up is 3068, thats supposed to be good.
I'm in the same boat here -- about ready to get another batch started as I think in another month or so I'll have enough EZ-cap bottles freed up. SWMBO and I will try out the sample bottles this weekend to see if any of those 3 are worth repeating. Like you, I'll probably end up splitting batches or alternating yeasts -- Montrachet/something else. Is it bad to use a 6-Gallon Better Bottle on a 1/2 batch or should I look into the 3-Gallon BB's?

Old 08-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #28
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 10 Posts

you guys are gonna like 3068, my fermenter smells like fruit roll ups.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #29
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've got one going on Yeast 3333. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. But currently it is still in the fermenter after about 3 weeks. So it will be a while.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:53 AM   #30
Toppers
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Damn I just had a bottle of cuvee that has been bottle conditioning for 3 weeks. A+ flavor and smoothness, it's hard to believe this will age out much better...but I know it will. Superb. I really urge you guys to try different yeasts, but Cuvee specifically is a sure winner.

Quick Reply