Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Apfelwein yeast question
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,969
Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
The only thing you need to know about Apfelwein yeast is: Red Star Premier Cuvee.

Let's count the ways. Starts fasters, clears fasters, no farting. less aging-to-drinkability, but most importantly tastes better.
Have you made any Apfelwein using Montrachet?
EdWort is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #12
Arneba28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Arneba28's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Amherst, Western New York
Posts: 2,228
Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

I dont know. I just tasted my first batch of apfelwien the other day. Its about 2.5 months old now and wonderful. I cant see another yeast helping this the way that Montrachet did. The yeast contributes just the right amount to it.

__________________
My Kegerator Project
Arneba28 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #13
Toppers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 169
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Yeah Ed, 6 gallons (two, 3 gallon batches). It's good, and I made it twice to give it another chance. But, Cuvee smokes it in every regard, so I go with it now. Would I use Montrachet if that's all that was available? Definitely. Lots of respect here for the original recipe and you for bringing it to us.

__________________
Toppers is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #14
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,969
Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
Yeah Ed, 6 gallons (two, 3 gallon batches). It's good, and I made it twice to give it another chance. But, Cuvee smokes it in every regard, so I go with it now. Would I use Montrachet if that's all that was available? Definitely. Lots of respect here for the original recipe and you for bringing it to us.
My question would be the taste with Cuvee, if it actually tastes like German Apfelwein as does the result from Montrachet.

You mention it tastes better, but how?
EdWort is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 05:21 PM   #15
Tonedef131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 1,906
Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswardpeterson View Post
Don't even think about bread yeast.
I know you are.
Stop it.
I did this with a gallon batch as an experiment. I had an extra gallon of Motts apple juice sitting around and an empty gallon fermenter but no brewers yeast. I figured why not, if it was terrible I would only be out like three bucks. So I mixed it up with bakers yeast and an unmeasured amount of corn sugar. It fermented out within a week and tasted pretty sharp and tangy. I bottled and carbed 4 750ml bottles and forgot about them for about 3 months.

Just this past weekend I found them in the closet and figured what the hell. I chilled them and took them over to my buddies bonfire. They were fantastic. I am not just saying that considering they were made with bakers yeast, they were actually excellent cider and everyone there thought so.

Now that I have made enemies out of all of you I might as well suggest it as an interesting experiment. I don't know that I would risk 5 gallons to it, but in a one gallon batch it was fun.
__________________
Tonedef131 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #16
Toppers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 169
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
You mention it tastes better, but how?
Good question, that I don't know how to answer 100%. It tastes better at the 6 week mark by a long shot, more fruity and far less green wine burn. It is also aging quicker alongside Montrachet. I know 6 weeks is a joke for you and others that have a real pipeline going, but I am judging them solely at this point in time. Comparison to real Apfelwein? I have none. The Cuvee taste is completely different than Montrachet. If it veers from true Apfelwein style for the sake of tasting awesome, I can live with that.

I am saving some to try in 3-4 months side-by-side again, and am 100% open to the possibility of Motrachet passing Cuvee by. I doubt it will, but will continue to keep some monty batches going just to observe it.
__________________
Toppers is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 06:59 PM   #17
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,969
Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
The Cuvee taste is completely different than Montrachet. If it veers from true Apfelwein style for the sake of tasting awesome, I can live with that.
There ya go. I know it sounds like semantics, but I call it Apfelwein because as the recipe goes, it creates a hard cider that tastes just like German Apfelwein. It's a unique taste from Germany that English and American hard ciders do not duplicate.

Folks PM me all the time and ask me about different yeasts and my answer is the same. I only use Montrachet as the results are the closest to my objective (German Apfelwein).

All the other yeasts tried can and will make very tasty hard ciders, but they won't be Apfelwein unless they taste like one.

Have you compared your cider to any commercial examples?
__________________

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

EdWort is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 08:02 PM   #18
jameswardpeterson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Falls Church VA
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
I did this with a gallon batch as an experiment. I had an extra gallon of Motts apple juice sitting around and an empty gallon fermenter but no brewers yeast. I figured why not, if it was terrible I would only be out like three bucks. So I mixed it up with bakers yeast and an unmeasured amount of corn sugar. It fermented out within a week and tasted pretty sharp and tangy. I bottled and carbed 4 750ml bottles and forgot about them for about 3 months.

Just this past weekend I found them in the closet and figured what the hell. I chilled them and took them over to my buddies bonfire. They were fantastic. I am not just saying that considering they were made with bakers yeast, they were actually excellent cider and everyone there thought so.

Now that I have made enemies out of all of you I might as well suggest it as an interesting experiment. I don't know that I would risk 5 gallons to it, but in a one gallon batch it was fun.
I'm actually planning on trying a batch with bread yeast soon (call me a hypocrite) just for sh!ts and giggles. I think the reason it is generally frowned upon is because after aging, the complexity of flavors is no where near as good as other brewer's/vinter's yeasts.
__________________
Primary: blueberry apple cider
Secondary: panty dropper cranberry apple cider
bottled: I should probably get some of those...
on deck: future brews suspended for the moment :(...
jameswardpeterson is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 08:23 PM   #19
Tonedef131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 1,906
Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswardpeterson View Post
I'm actually planning on trying a batch with bread yeast soon (call me a hypocrite) just for sh!ts and giggles. I think the reason it is generally frowned upon is because after aging, the complexity of flavors is no where near as good as other brewer's/vinter's yeasts.
I can see not wanting to use it if you are making something you are planning to celler. But if you are just wanting something to drink it works suprisingly well. Like I said, mine sat for about 3 months and I would say they were probably peaking about then. I liked it quite a bit more than with montrachet.
__________________
Tonedef131 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #20
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brandon O's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tempe
Posts: 1,238
Liked 37 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Okay so I just had a 1 year old EdWort's Apfelwein over at olllllo's house.

It's wonderful, I thought my apfelwine out of the carboy at 1 month was drinkable to me, just had a cheap white wine taste to it.

But man, after 1 year it tastes like a high class refined drink.

Biggest thing about it...not too sweet, ya know like a hornsby's apple cider or something. Tastes like a real apple in stead of a jolly rancher apple.

I have some 3068 in 5 gallons of applejuice, i'll be interested to see if it is as drinkable and has a natural apple flavor. Jolly rancher apple hornsby's is good for SWMBO but I need something I can consume mass amounts of over the course of an entire saturday.

__________________
Brandon O is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ed's APFELWEIN Yeast Question! jhonda00 Wine Making Forum 16 09-23-2009 07:13 PM
Apfelwein Yeast Question bufordtjones Recipes/Ingredients 1 07-22-2009 09:00 PM
Yeast Question in general-Apfelwein. Nomadic_Joel Cider Forum 6 04-09-2009 12:40 AM
apfelwein yeast question mrfurlly Wine Making Forum 10 02-25-2009 04:39 AM
Apfelwein Yeast question soccerbigt Recipes/Ingredients 11 01-23-2009 04:22 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS