Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Apfelwein yeast question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #21
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

just checked the SG and it is still at 1.010 .......tasted the sample and it is good ( MUCH more smooth than last time) but weak flavor wise. almost like fizzy water with a splash of apple juice. I understand the apple flavor will come out more with time....it has almost zero alcohol taste to me..actually kind of a pleasant sipper....I have decided to bottle this like beer ( prime with corn sugar and cap) is there any reason I couldn't do that in the near future? I need to top off the carboy but I will use apple juice I think as the flavor is weak enough without watering it down more. I understand this will kick up fermentation again... I have thought about using apple juice to prime it for bottling...would that workif I am patient with carbonation?

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #22
chirs
Recipes 

I don't blame you for not reading through the 3,000 pages in the original apfelwein thread...but you'll find people were reacting very much the same. It really is amazing how the apple flavor just reappears out of nowhere @ 5-6 months. I'm bummed I drank/gave away 3 gallons in the first 3 months.
On the other hand, I also wish my introduction to cider wasn't just APFELWEIN. While that thread was a big hit, I had never really had much cider at all – apfelwein or otherwise.
I found this little amateur experiment interesting: http://thepauperedchef.com/2009/11/t...ard-cider.html

_______
kegged: Anchor Steam
primary: Mead

Add your water quality report to the Water Quality/Chemistry thread.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:45 AM   #23
jackson_d
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yes you can bottle it like beer. Ed Wort suggests 3/4 cup of priming sugar.

I wouldnt do the apple juice primer without some research first, it might be too much sugar and you might get bottle bombs.

it is german style dry cider. it is not supposed to taste like woodchuck, etc. its very smooth. the flavor will come out in time. as i've said, mine has a slight maple syrup taste at 8 months.. Its very good and very smooth but it doesnt necessarily scream APPLE CIDER at me.

why dont you just leave it be and then you've made Apfelwein. After you drink your batch in all of its glory, you can take notes and alter the next batch. For instance, a friend of mine used 2# brown sugar to mix into the juice instead of Corn Sugar. The brown sugar doesnt ferment all the way and it leaves a lot of sweetness. Tasted much more like a sweet cider instead of dry, as the Apfelwein is meant to be dry.

What do you mean 'top off the carboy' ?

Fermenting: 12g Elevated Line California Lager
Kegged: Elevated Line Toast IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Elevated Line Blonde, Elevated Line Christmas Molasses Porter
On Deck: Death by Dunkel, Mango Lambic?, Barleywine, Wheat, Cali Lager, Pilsner, Honey Porter, etc., etc...

Old 01-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #24
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson_d View Post
yes you can bottle it like beer. Ed Wort suggests 3/4 cup of priming sugar.

I wouldnt do the apple juice primer without some research first, it might be too much sugar and you might get bottle bombs.

it is german style dry cider. it is not supposed to taste like woodchuck, etc. its very smooth. the flavor will come out in time. as i've said, mine has a slight maple syrup taste at 8 months.. Its very good and very smooth but it doesnt necessarily scream APPLE CIDER at me.

why dont you just leave it be and then you've made Apfelwein. After you drink your batch in all of its glory, you can take notes and alter the next batch. For instance, a friend of mine used 2# brown sugar to mix into the juice instead of Corn Sugar. The brown sugar doesnt ferment all the way and it leaves a lot of sweetness. Tasted much more like a sweet cider instead of dry, as the Apfelwein is meant to be dry.

What do you mean 'top off the carboy' ?
I have drawn a couple of samples out of the carboy to test the sg...there is a bit of head space and I was wondering about adding water or apple juice to "fill" the headspace......
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 06-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #25
Northerngal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just started a batch; probably just newbie concerns but...I found a ton of 1L (approx 4L=1gal) apple juices on sale so I dissolved my sugar differently, just in a mixing bowl. I also started my yeast 12hrs before brewing using lalvin 1118. I forgot to take an OG reading until after I added the yeast, and have a reading of 1.055, which seems very low! I'm wondering if maybe the sugar wasn't fully dissolved and is sitting on the bottom? I did it in my kitchen sink and now can't move it until tonight when the hubby gets home to see if it needs mixing. Any thoughts? Should I mix it up well with a wine whip then take another SG or just leave it and trust it to do it's thing? Thank you!

Old 06-06-2014, 10:27 AM   #26
podz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
Ok before I ask this I KNOW I messed up by not taking an OG reading.... I just checked gravity on my Apfelwein after about 2 weeks...it is only down to 1.020.. I figured it woulkd be about done by now. I used red star champagne yeast and followed eds recipe ) 5 gallons apple juice and 2 pounds corn sugar) ... I got strong fermentation and its down to a blurb every ten seconds or so ( I know not an indication) just wondered if this was a bit slow being in the mid to upper 60's ambient temp?

It is slow. Apple juice simply doesn't contain the nutrients to make fermentation finish in a decent amount of time. Next time toss in some DAP and raisins and you'll be finished in a week or so.

OTOH, nothing wrong with cold crashing at 1.020 if you want to preserve some sweetness - that's just the right number. And from where you started, 1.020 will put you at about 6-6.5% ABV. Chill em and drink em.

There's a fungus among us.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #27
podz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngal View Post
Just started a batch; probably just newbie concerns but...I found a ton of 1L (approx 4L=1gal) apple juices on sale so I dissolved my sugar differently, just in a mixing bowl. I also started my yeast 12hrs before brewing using lalvin 1118. I forgot to take an OG reading until after I added the yeast, and have a reading of 1.055, which seems very low! I'm wondering if maybe the sugar wasn't fully dissolved and is sitting on the bottom? I did it in my kitchen sink and now can't move it until tonight when the hubby gets home to see if it needs mixing. Any thoughts? Should I mix it up well with a wine whip then take another SG or just leave it and trust it to do it's thing? Thank you!

Just leave it to do it's thing. It will still be about 7.7% ABV if you let it ferment down to 0.996. Nothing wrong with that.

There's a fungus among us.

Quick Reply