Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Apfelwein yeast question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 12:10 AM   #11
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
Ok before I ask this I KNOW I messed up by not taking an OG reading.... I just checked gravity on my Apfelwein after about 2 weeks...it is only down to 1.020.. I figured it woulkd be about done by now. I used red star champagne yeast and followed eds recipe ) 5 gallons apple juice and 2 pounds corn sugar) ... I got strong fermentation and its down to a blurb every ten seconds or so ( I know not an indication) just wondered if this was a bit slow being in the mid to upper 60's ambient temp?
Is it clear? Has the yeast settled to the bottom? Have patience with Apfelwein by all means, as it greatly improves with age. When it is clear, you can rack it, but it will still be better (and less like rocket fuel) as it ages.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 01:01 AM   #12
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

it is wrapped up and basically buried except the top sticking out of a pile of stuff to keep it dark.. so all I can say is that NO the sample I pulled was NOT clear... It was however VERY fizzy like champagne ( I liked it) tasted like apple champagne except a little bitter...

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 12-07-2009, 03:24 AM   #13
jackson_d
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

dude i let my apfelwein sit in the primary for 6 MONTHS! dont even worry about hydrometer. if you have read some of the threads here, you'd know the you arent supposed to bottle or keg after 3-4 weeks anyways.... let it sit minimum 3 months if you can... or drink it right away if you have to.. but the threads clearly say it doesnt clear up for about 3 months... my apfelwein tastes like maple syrup after 6 months... its great

Fermenting: 12g Elevated Line California Lager
Kegged: Elevated Line Toast IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Elevated Line Blonde, Elevated Line Christmas Molasses Porter
On Deck: Death by Dunkel, Mango Lambic?, Barleywine, Wheat, Cali Lager, Pilsner, Honey Porter, etc., etc...

Old 12-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #14
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

I wasn't planning on bottling it. Just was curious as to the time frame for fermentation.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 12-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
AlTheGud1sRtaken
Recipes 

i usually let it sit in there for 2 months just to be safe, then let it sit around in bottles for however long it takes to finish it i've had some batches that even with ale yeast kept bubbling for over 1 month.

and the pasteur red yeast works great too, but the flavor is completely different. try it sometime just to mix things up a bit.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #16
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

just checked the SG again and it is only down to 1.012 after a month in ......temps are a bit cool I think so that is a factor...air lock is still bubbling slowly about 1 time every 20 seconds....thinking about swirling it up a bit .... what should I do?

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 12-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #17
jackson_d
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
just checked the SG again and it is only down to 1.012 after a month in ......temps are a bit cool I think so that is a factor...air lock is still bubbling slowly about 1 time every 20 seconds....thinking about swirling it up a bit .... what should I do?
whats wrong with 1.012? that a fine FG for a beer..

dude, let it sit two months if you can stand it. dont take readings, just let it sit.

Fermenting: 12g Elevated Line California Lager
Kegged: Elevated Line Toast IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Elevated Line Blonde, Elevated Line Christmas Molasses Porter
On Deck: Death by Dunkel, Mango Lambic?, Barleywine, Wheat, Cali Lager, Pilsner, Honey Porter, etc., etc...

Old 12-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #18
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson_d View Post
whats wrong with 1.012? that a fine FG for a beer..

dude, let it sit two months if you can stand it. dont take readings, just let it sit.
I thought with the champagne yeast it should finish completely dry?
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 12-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #19
WIP
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Champagne yeast takes about 3 months instead of the 1 month it takes for the Montrachet. I think it comes out better though.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #20
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIP View Post
Champagne yeast takes about 3 months instead of the 1 month it takes for the Montrachet. I think it comes out better though.
thanks.....back in the dark it goes
BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply