The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Apfelwein Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
FredTheNuke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Apfelwein Lager

Ok - So like many many of you I made two six gallon batches of Ed's Finest... It sat on the yeast cake for the last 8 weeks - fermented out nice and dry at 0.996 or so. No need to sorbate it as I'm not backsweetening. SOOO I needed the carboys for the next batch of Apfelwein (even 2 months young it is decent to drink - I can't wait for the 8-10 month point)!

The question - I racked both batches into 5 gallon kegs and carbonated at 10psi. Now I'm going to age them in the keg. Can they be aged at Lagering temperatures (38F or so)? Has anyone tried this? Is it good, bad, better, worse, indifferent??? Or should I simply leave the kegs at room temperature (low 70's usually) for the next 6-8 months?

Thanks for the assistance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredTheNuke View Post
Ok - So like many many of you I made two six gallon batches of Ed's Finest... It sat on the yeast cake for the last 8 weeks - fermented out nice and dry at 0.996 or so. No need to sorbate it as I'm not backsweetening. SOOO I needed the carboys for the next batch of Apfelwein (even 2 months young it is decent to drink - I can't wait for the 8-10 month point)!

The question - I racked both batches into 5 gallon kegs and carbonated at 10psi. Now I'm going to age them in the keg. Can they be aged at Lagering temperatures (38F or so)? Has anyone tried this? Is it good, bad, better, worse, indifferent??? Or should I simply leave the kegs at room temperature (low 70's usually) for the next 6-8 months?

Thanks for the assistance!
It's up to you! Cider ages slower at colder temperatures, but there are some things that happen at a colder temperature like the "smoothing" out of flavors that are good things as well.

You could try one of each, since you have two kegs. See which way you prefer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply