The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Apfelwein How Clear should it be? (pic)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
Croakersoaker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apfelwein How Clear should it be? (pic)

Hey guys how clear does my apfelwein need to be before i bottle.I can read large newspaper print(meaning Headlines and such)I stabilized and backsweetened about a week ago and it clouded up again briefly,but then started to clear up again.i can read the better bottle sticker thru the carboy is that clear enough or do i need to wait longer?

photo.jpg   photo-1-.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Well I don't touch mine for at least 6 months, then I bottle it and leave it for another 6 months minimum. And you can read a newspaper through mine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #3
NineMilBill
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 63

If I can't read the fine print of my pre-nup through my Apfelwein, it ain't gettin bottled.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:28 AM   #4
Frankiesurf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

The correct answer is... however clear you want it. The longer it sits the more clear it will be. If you are a stickler for clear beer oo fermented applejuice then let it sit. If not, who cares? It will be delicious and that is what really matters.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:34 AM   #5
NineMilBill
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankiesurf View Post
The correct answer is... however clear you want it. The longer it sits the more clear it will be. If you are a stickler for clear beer oo fermented applejuice then let it sit. If not, who cares? It will be delicious and that is what really matters.
I completely agree when it comes to most cider, however, this being said - I can't imagine a cloudy EdWort's Apfelwein. It's juice and dextrose. I mean...leave it for 6 weeks and it's nothing but clear. I'd have to intentionally create a cloudy Apfelwein if I ever wanted to see one. Literally: bottling directly from primary, and only after shaking up the trub as much as possible to ensure I get a cloudy product. It's just not fathomable, IME, to get a cloudy product.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:39 AM   #6
Croakersoaker
Recipes 

Ok I guess it should be crystal clear. I'll wait a few weeks longer. It's my first brew I guess I'm just an anxious to try it. Thanks for the input guys

Old 06-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
Heavywalker
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 8

With that much head space I would bottle sooner rather than later. YMMV

I bottle mine between 3 and 4 months then let it sit in the bottle for between 6-9 months depending on how low my stash is, this being your first brew you will not make it that long, but it will still be good.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
burtonridr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks good to me, much clearer that the batch I bottled recently.

Currently into : Rice Wine
In the fermenter: Honey Kolsch, Shining Star Pale Ale, Mead, Rice Raisin Wine.
My Favorites : Honey Kolsch, German Altbier, Apfelwein, Joes Honey mead.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
Kampo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd bottle that, if your going to carb it there is going to be a bit of sediment anyway. but i'm not a stickler for super clear stuff, although my last Graff which I rushed and bottled kinda hazy is crsytal clear fnow rom the bottle, and the yeast is so compacted at the bottom I don't think I could make it cloudy even with a crap pour

I brew like I cook....prolly won't be able to recreat anything I make but i'll try to improve on it

Quick Reply