Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Apfelwein fermentation process

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
tomwirsing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Apfelwein fermentation process

I started some apfelwein in early March. OG=1.054 ( Surprisingly low as I followed the recipe). When I checked a couple of weeks ago the SG was just under 1.000. However, I am still seeing bubbles rising to the top, albeit very slowly.

This is my first experience with wine yeast (one packet of Montrachet), and I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me what to expect. I've seen people say apfelwein should sit 8 months and I've seen people drinking it after 2 months. How long will it keep bubbling? Is the bubbling a result of the yeast cleaning up byproducts of fermentation? Will his improve the product?

Any and all comments are welcome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #2
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

My experience with apfelwein is that the bubbles are just co2 being released. I let mine sit in the carboy for a month and bottled it. Half I bottled still and the other half i bottled carbed

After 2 months in the bottles the still batch carbed up, i know for a fact fermentation was done as it was bottled at .0996, others have told me that i didnt degas it and basically it reabsorbed the co2.

hopefully that answers a question, if you in doubt rack it to a secondary or just let it sit for another week or so.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 06-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
reality_felix
Recipes 

don't worry.. if your sg is below 1.000, that mean all sugar is finish fermented. the only possible it bubbled is due to heat that force co2 to release, or shaking of carboy cos it release. if better, try to let your applewine aging for 6-8 month..my 1 now sit for 4 month already... really cant wait to try it..

Quick Reply