*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Apfelwein Carbonation Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
HeyworthHomebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apfelwein Carbonation Question

Hello All,

I apologize if this has already been answered but I used the search feature to no avail. I have a batch of Apfelwein nearly ready for bottling, and I am thinking about bottle carbonating it. I have received conflicting information from other sites as to whether or not I need special bottles, champagne stoppers, etc. Can I just use regular wine bottles and corks, prime them, and bottle up? Do I need to pitch the yeast again to get carbonation going? I haven't stopped fermentation using Campden tablets or any other method. Thanks, and again, my apologies if this has already been answered.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I am a rank amatuer, so if someone says different than I do, listen to them. IF you are gonna bottle carb it ( adding priming sugar and then bottling) you can't use wine bottles and corks. They will simply blow out. I am gonna bottle carb mine in beer bottles and cap em just like beer. If you use "wine" bottles I believe you will need champagne bottles and corks plus the wire "thingys" that keep the cork from flying out. And no you shouldn't need to add any more yeast. as long as you haven't stabilized it.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 01-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
HeyworthHomebrew
Recipes 

Sounds good, I appreciate the help!

Old 01-04-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
DaveAllen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do not use wine bottles. They cannot handle the pressure and will explode.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
HeyworthHomebrew
Recipes 

I believe I am going to split the batch up, half carbed, half still. I've got a hard cider going as well that I'm definitely going to leave still (personal preference). Thanks again for the help!

Primary #1: Apfelwein
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Empty
Secondary #1: Concord/Pomegranate Wine
Secondary #2: Empty
Bottled: Welch's Grape Wine ; Cranberry Hard Cider ; Cooper's Real Ale

Last edited by HeyworthHomebrew; 01-04-2010 at 08:27 PM.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

more than likely you'd pop all your corks. I had a wine I didn't degas enough, so even a tiny amount of co2, plus synthetic corks...i found 3 opened bottles a week later.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 01-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
HeyworthHomebrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
more than likely you'd pop all your corks. I had a wine I didn't degas enough, so even a tiny amount of co2, plus synthetic corks...i found 3 opened bottles a week later.
Ouch..I'm going to heed all of the advice and buy a capper and some beer bottles!
Primary #1: Apfelwein
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Empty
Secondary #1: Concord/Pomegranate Wine
Secondary #2: Empty
Bottled: Welch's Grape Wine ; Cranberry Hard Cider ; Cooper's Real Ale

Old 01-05-2010, 05:08 AM   #8
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I bottled one bottle of my first apfelwein in a Bail/wire/E-Z cap type bottle (ETA it was a 750 ml size)with two tablespoons of corn syrup for New Year's eave and it turned out great! Could have been a bit more fizzy but still the flavor rivaled the asti spumanti that I usually buy. (I will start it carbing earlier next year)
I would definitely use bottles and closures that are meant for high pressure. After having home made soda (ginger ale and root beer) explode in regular beer/soda bottles I invested in the swing top bailed bottles. Also you could stake out some of the wedding reception places in your are for used Champagne bottles, if you pick them up quickly they will sometimes save them for you for free. The plastic corks and wire cages are cheap enuf at the LBS, And for the cost of gas and clean it is worth it.

Last edited by Emerald; 01-05-2010 at 05:24 AM. Reason: forgot bottle size

Old 01-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #9
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Are you saying that beer bottles would not hold the pressure of carbing this? I am planning to put mine in beer bottles but don't want bottle bombs.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 01-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
Are you saying that beer bottles would not hold the pressure of carbing this? I am planning to put mine in beer bottles but don't want bottle bombs.
I would think that they would, but I was using cheapo bottles that were given to me by a friend and after a couple exploded we spent the extra and got the swing-tops.
I wonder if wine gets more "carbed" than beer and that is why they put it in such heavy duty bottles with the punt at the bottom for strength?

Besides- some of the swing-tops come in nice blue and brown colors and look really cool when you pull them out of the fridge and pop that top! Even the hubby said wow, that looks nice and it still makes a POP noise like a champagne cork does.

Quick Reply